We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS systems in Costa Rica

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
GPS systems in Costa Rica

I would appreciate honest input, especially from Roadadvisor and WeFish88. These guys really know Costa Rica and are really helpful. . . . .

We plan to go to Arenal and Santa Teresa in November, We are flying into San Jose and staying at the Hampton Inn. We have a 4X4 reserved at Budget. #1. How far is it from the Hampton to Budget rental? We are driving to Arenal for four nights and then headed to Santa Teresa for 5 nights.

#2. Is it necessary to rent a GPS system and can you give me an idea on what to expect as far as cost.

#3. We have a GPS here in Texas. Is it possible to use that system?

We are looking forward to some Turkey and Imperials for Thanksgiving. We were there last year and looking forward to going back.

Mahalo

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

I'm not luis or wefish but I did stay at a holiday inn last night. If your gps is a garmin and accepts sd cards or usb file transfer, then you can rent or buy a costa rica map from www.navsatcr.com I can tell you from experience it is as close to perfect as one can expect. To rent a gps is around $8 - $10 some rent a car companies offer free gps.

Costa Rica
2. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

I'm not wefish or roadadvisor but I do try to give honest opinions.

From the Hampton to the Budget rental is not very far. I've been to both and I'm trying to picture it in my mind. Less than a mile, I would say.

If you are going to the Hampton Inn first and then getting your car, you can arrange for it to be delivered to you at the Hampton.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

Thank you for your nice words...GRACIAS!

Let me try to answer your questions!

1- Budget...good people to dealt with...just be sure to ask them about the total cost...to avoid any surprise!....just about 4 minutes from Hampton Inn...you can even walk...very simple to get there...tehy can even deliver the car to Hampton or pick you up there...just give them a call!

2- It is not necessary to rent a GPS...but is a great option...about $ 8.00 a day.

3- If you have a GRAMIN...you can contact...www.navsatcr.com...the best mapping of Costa Rica!

4- Good CHOMPIPES around...I like it...CHOMPIPE it sounds so costarican...Turkey is nice as well...but CHOMPIPE is a funny word...

Thank you once again for asking...

roadadivsor

Edited: 2:06 pm, June 22, 2011
San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

Please...it is a GARMIN...sorry!

roadadvisor

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
5. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

chompipe is turkey? if it is, i'll never call it turkey again!

one other thing about navsatcr is the customer service is excellent.

Costa Rica
6. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

Turkey is also "pavo" but I like "chompipe" a lot better!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
7. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

i am considering spending navidad in cr this year. i never saw chompipe in any grocery store, sliced or whole. where can i find a whole chompipe? how would i ask for a whole chompipe? is it pronounced chom or shom pee pay?

i think i'll name my next boat susio chompipe.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
8. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

Mahalo65078:

Ditto to everything that has been posted! Other DEs and members give honest answers too! Thanks for the kudos!

I personally like to travel with a good ol' fashioned map! I actually updated my Costa Rica map last year after my old one totally disintegrated at each corner of every fold! I like the adventure of getting lost, so a GPS is not a priority for us!

But, if you really have to....here are two sites that may be helpful!!!

http://www.gpstravelmaps.com/costarica.php

http://www.navsatcr.com/en/

I thought that a chompipe was the name given to a turkey when it is still alive and wandering around or whole, and pavo was parts of a turkey after it is butchered? Whatever it is....it is still good!! (we usually BBQ ours on a spit! yum!) and have had it cooked on hot rocks and coals buried in a hole in the beach (wrapped in banana leaves first).

Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
9. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

Thanks Fish.

I want to come to your Thanksgiving party. Having said that, does anyone have any suggestions for Thanksgiving Dinner in Santa Teresa?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
10. Re: GPS systems in Costa Rica

Mahalo65078!

I am not hosting the party....so can't put out the invite! Sorry!

Usually, about a week before Thanksgiving, restaurants start planning their dinners. There are often many locales to choose from. If you want, I will let you know when I start seeing the posters around. The best bet of course it Mary's....always a gimme as far as I'm concerned for all North American holiday feasts! You have to make reservations as soon as they put the word out!

Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa