We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

I am planning a trip to this area with my two small children and I am trying to decide between a villa on playa secreto or Santa Teresa. As there will be a lot of nap time it will mean that we will be at the place a lot. So I want to select an area where one of us can easily snorkel or swim close by the house or take a Long walk on the beach or to a cafe during nap time. I found a great place on playa secreto but I am wondering if it will be too remote or limited. It looks beautiful but I don't want to be too remote. Any advice on the differences between the two areas or how far they are from each other? Thank you.

Edited: 12:13 am, March 14, 2011
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
1. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

When I first saw your title for this post I thought you might be asking whether you should go on a trip with your boss to Mal Pais and play secretary for him on your vacation, lol. I'm glad I was wrong about that.

As for your question, I'm afraid I can't help you much with that either. Evidently, Playa Secreto seems to be aptly named because I've never heard of it and could only find reference to an obviously different Playa Secreto near Playa del Carmen on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula through a google search. I've also looked over the maps I have available for the Southern Nicoya area and couldn't locate any Playa Secreto there either. Hopefully, somebody else, most likely someone who has actually stayed there or perhaps lives in the area, can be of more assistance. All that I can give you for now is this link to a website that provides the best overall information on that part of CR that I have seen: http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

How funny! I meant playa secreto in mal pais, but my iPad had different idea:). So the villa that I am looking at says playa secreto, but I think the real name playa suecos? http://www.vrbo.com/297808

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
3. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

Thanks for posting the link to the rental because I had no idea where 'Secret Beach' was. I know the house and I have never known the area to be called Secret Beach.... This is not near playa suecos (which is a few K. south and basically the end of the road).

This rental is about a 15 minute walk on the beach to Playa Carmen and the hub of 'things to do' (restaurants, bakeries, bars, stores). I would say that it would be a good spot for you and your family. You may want to consider renting a 4x4 to make your life a bit easier since you will be a few kilometers from the nearest grocery store and you will likely want to do some sight-seeing.

This spot has a great yard for kids and the rock reef out front helps keep the waves down to a dull roar and you will be able to play in the tide-pools at low tide.

I don't know what you are comparing this to in Santa Teresa, but Santa Teresa may be closer to more restaurants. Perhaps you can post the link to the place you are looking at renting in Santa Teresa.

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

You have no idea how much I searched and search for the "secret beach." Thank you so much for solving the mystery. Since you know the house is it a pretty as it seems in pictures? From the pictures it does look like there is a beach in front that is sandy. Does that area have a sandy area? Also we are thiniking of coming the first week in May. Does the rain and bug pick up that week as May is the green season. The other house is http://www.vrbo.com/330132 in playa hermosa.

I so apprecitate you help!!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

The rental in Mal Pais is very nice and very private. It has a small sandy beach right in front of the property.

Your other choice in Playa Hermosa is brand new. It is not right on the beach, but a short walk from it and is in a compound of a number of other rentals, so if total privacy is an issue, you may not like this choice. It does look gorgeous! The area is quiet, there is a small store close by that sells the essentials. The beach at Playa Hermosa is one of the most gorgeous in the area with snorkeling close by and you can walk 'forever' on the beach for a needed break.

Typically, the beginning of May is the start of the green season, but the days start out sunny and it may rain in the late afternoon or overnight. There are bugs all the time so there is really no specific time of the year where they are more prolific. Always have insect repellent handy!

Denver, Colorado
6. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

Ok one last question before I book. The other place we are looking at is casa pelicano vrbo# 101202. Any thoughts between this place and the mal pais villa on secret beach? having never been in this area it is so hard to make a decision. I am just looking for a beautiful rental with great views that will allow me to feel like I am on vacation. sometimes the place can make the trip! Thank you for helping me with trip planning!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

Casa Pelicano is much closer to amenities and is closer to the beach than the Hermosa rental. I am not sure about the views at this rental (have not been on this property), but from reading the reviews, it sounds like trees obstruct the ocean views, if that is what you are looking for, then the Mal Pais property has the best views.

I think that each of your choices will give you the vacation feeling. I guess it comes down to how close you want to be to restaurants and grocery stores. Casa Pelicano is the only one that falls into that criteria. The other two are a bit farther away.

Let me know which one you chose and I am looking forward to hearing about your vacation in our corner of Costa Rica!

Lake Charles...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

Hi Wefish88!

We are coming to Santa Teresa next week on our honeymoon and booked Villa Paraiso VRBO# 264308. Since you are so knowledgeable on the area, I was wondering if you you knew anything about this property (location, beach out front, views). Is it a secluded house or in a compound with other rentals? Any information is greatly appreciated!

Edited: 10:13 pm, March 19, 2011
Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

meglouisiana:

Congratulations!

Your choice will not disappoint you! That's a huge place to vacation in with two! You will love it! It is not a compound, just a private house! The beach is loaded with surfers, so if you are going for a dip in the ocean watch for incoming boards! Luckily, there are times when they aren't out there in packs!

You will be close to many amenities.

Have a wonderful time!

Lake Charles...
reviews: 4
10. Re: Santa Teresa or play secretory in mal pIs

Wefish88:

Thanks for the response!! We are so excited! Sounds amazing! I may try and surf myself, hopefully it won't be too crowded... Have a great day!