We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia, pa
Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

We our in our late 20's and will be traveling to Costa Rica in May. We will be leaving our 15 month old at home and looking to have a relaxing time, yet see some of the sites in Costa Rica. We are considering going to St. Teresa for the entire vacation and either renting a car from San Jose or flying to Tambor and taking a taxi to St. Teresa.

Is there enough wildlife and other things to see in st. Teresa or should we spend a few days in one of these places: Arenal, Manuel Antonio or Monteverde?

We aren't into group tours, "touristy" areas or resorts. Our budget is around $2000 for the 8 days.

Thank you!

Durham, Connecticut
reviews: 51
1. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

ST is great and very chill...It would be too chill for me for 7 days(l'm in my late 40's). We did 3 or 4 days and it was great. I would either visit La Fortuna for 2-3 or Manual Antonio. Look at both and see what attracts you more. LF is much different than both ST and MA and might be a nice way to kick off the trip with some more active days and then slide into ST to chillax!

CT
reviews: 67
2. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

We just came back from 7 days in Santa Teresa. We flew from San Jose to Tambor (25 minute flight) then ride to ST (about 45 minutes). We are in our late 40's (definitely the oldest people in town!) and were with our 13 year old. Great beaches, super relaxing. Great place to learn to surf. Took tour to Curu Forest Reserve -- about 14 km on other side of Tambor, which was great. International small town -- built up over past 20 years. Touristy, but eclectic and not too American. Seems like they have a lot of lodging options for budget oriented travelers. If you don't like touristy, I'd skip La Fortuna (ultra touristy), and I've never been to Manuel Antonio -- which I hear is like being in America -- or Monteverde -- that's where all the tourists go. Things we enjoyed most if you do end up in La Fortuna were the canoe trip on the Penas Blancas River (not whitewater -- lots of wildlife) and the hanging bridges. Also -- we heard that Arenal is quiet right now -- not erupting at all. For beaches, St. Teresa is great, or check out the Osa Peninsula, Drake Bay area -- great wildlife -- VERY hot and humid though. Personally, I like the central highlands and area around Turrialba, Orosi and the Pacuare River. Have fun!

Edited: 8:51 am, March 21, 2011
guanacaste
reviews: 30
3. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

look into rincon de la vieja volcano national park for wild life, get in touch with guiasrincondelavieja@yahoo.es they will help you to get the most out of this park, esteban or javier are 2 great independent guides !!!

Edited: 10:36 am, March 21, 2011
guanacaste
reviews: 30
4. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

i forgot to mention, santa teresa, great place !!!!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 111
5. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

If it were me I and I was able to get away from the baby, I would just go to Santa Teresa and relax. You may need to spend a night or two in San Jose anyway. If you really don't want to stay in ST for the whole week, maybe you could do a few days in ST and a few in Montezuma.

philadelphia, pa
6. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

Thanks for the responses. So we need to narrow down our activities, but we did make our reservations. We have rented a tiny rustic cabin just outside of Monteverde for 3 nights. Afterwards we rented a beautiful house looking over the beach in malpais. It looks amazing with anawesome infinity pool. I hope we made the righ decision not to stay directly on the beach. We are flying in and out of sjo and will spend the last night at the adventure inn in order to be close to the airport.

The person we rented the house from, recommends vamos for renting a 4x4 but I haven't decided on that part yet.

Any suggestions on day trips or activities would be great.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

Great idea to split the vacation in two...I will double check the rent a car option...many good traditional rent a cars...a lot better tahn dealing with small companies..

roadadivsor

Toronto
reviews: 26
8. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

For activities,

if you do yoga be sure to catch Pina's ashtanga class at Tropico Latino while your staying in MalPais. The yoga deck is right off the beach. Pina also gives a wonderful Thai Yoga massage as well.

Tidal pools near Tropico Latino are great to relax in during low tide.

There is the the D&N (Day and Night), outdoor nightclub which can be fun fro the evening and Brisas Del Mar is a great restaurant on the hill to watch the sunset.

USA
reviews: 2
9. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

WE just did the same trip; three nights in Monteverde and five nights in Malpais. Recommendations for Monteverde; go early to the park and get a guide ; sign up for a night tour, there are many different outfits outside the park that offer them; A great restaurant , Chimera, on the road between STa Elena and MV, and another, Sofia, almost adjacent to Chimera. Travel to Malpais will take all day if you are driving/ferrying. Nice beaches for swimming near Malpais; Playa Hermosa and Playa Manzanilla; playa Suecos at the end of the road in Malpais. Other beaches surf is very rough.

Great restaurant in Malpais at Moana lodge ( wherre we stayed);We rented a suite up on the hill and the view was fantastic; you won't regret not being right on the beach.

appleton, wi
10. Re: Santa Teresa - 7 days and get the Costa Rica Experience??

We have been to CR twice before and we are in our mid 50's We have never been to this area..is it only about surfing or are there other things to enjoy. We like meeting other travelers so if you have a good hotel recommendation there, that would be good too.