We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

Hi!

I am a regular 'cardio' type exerciser - I run about 15 miles a day or use the elliptical trainer, etc. I am having a difficult time finding accomodations that have a gym or exercise equipment (aside from a lot of yoga!).

Are there any hotels (that don't cost $1000 a night!) or lodgings with ellipitical trainers, etc? Or is there any type of local private gym that I could pay a daily rate to access?

Are you able to run on the beach? (is the sand packed down enough at the water's edge to run along the water instead of in the deeper sand?) If able to run on the beach would anyone be kind enough to estimate how many miles of beach I would be able to run up and down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the scenery, but I relax best if I am able to first get a good cardio exercise daily which has a very therapeutic effect on me!

Thank you for your time again!

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
1. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

I don't know that beach or area in particular, but generally speaking:

1) all beaches in CR are open to the public, regardless of any particular hotel's frontage length.

2) if you time your runs for a period when the tide is ebbing, sand near the water's edge will have been packed down by wave action and still be moist, which usually provides a decent running surface.

3) Google Earth will give you an aerial (sattelite) view of any beach, and for any tourist-frequented location will link to Panoramio photos taken from ground level.

4) A Sea Eagle inflatable kayak (<$200 from Costco) would be affordable, portable, and provide a great upper-body cardio workout. Not to mention that it might be fun.

Edited: 10:11 am, December 04, 2010
montezuma
reviews: 28
2. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

Frank's Place hotel (www.franksplacecr.com) in Playa Carmen has a small private gym that costs less than $10 a day. If you are interested I may be able to send you some photos.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
3. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

You can run the beach for about 20K. before you get to a river you can't cross without swimming. Low tide is the best time with the most packed sand. If you run first light in the morning (5:30-6 AM) you could run the road as well without getting your lungs full of dust.

I jog at this time because it is cooler. Often it gets too hot after 7AM.

The gym at Frank's place is pretty basic, no Nordic Tracks or anything equivalent.

usa
4. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

Thank you all for your input! Sounds like trying to run will be my best bet, and I appreciate the tip on being able to run on the roads and the tip re: early morning runs! I will look into Frank's maybe for a supplement to working out, maybe they have a stationary bike or something. Thank you for the offer for pictures, I don't want to trouble you for that but really appreciate the kind offer. I will contact the gym. The kayak idea does sound like potential for fun and exercise, and I appreciate the Google earth tip - I will need to look into that too! (and it sounds like that may come in handy for other future travels too!)

If anyone else has any ideas I will appreciate those also!

Thank you all again!

Chicago
5. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

Not sure if you have been on your trip yet - Flora Blanca has a small gym - we looked at the hotel and I saw the gym but did not go in it. They have a treadmill facing the water and prob a typical small hotel gym. We had a great run one morning but then tried another day at 12 and was way too hot. Make sure to bring your water belt and I would highly suggest running outside - it is so beautiful, why sit on a treadmill??

We had an amazing time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Toronto
reviews: 26
6. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

I would never run on the main roads, way too much dust, except maybe early morning. lots of people run the beach at low tide either in the evening or morning.

To stretch out your runner's legs you should get a Thai Yoga massage from Pina at Tropico Latino. I always do her morning ashtanga yoga class then at the end of the week,-Thai yoga massage, amazing!

7. Re: cardio type exercise in Santa Teresa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 08, 2012