We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
7 posts
Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

Hi

We are planning to honeymoon in Costa Rica next June and looking to spend some time in a beach place. We'd rather spend longer and get to know a place and were looking at Santa Teresa for nine / ten days. Is there enough to do in Santa Teresa to keep us there for nine / ten days? We're not surfers but do like beautiful beaches, and would plan to divide our days between maybe sixty percent relaxation and fourty percent activities. We'd want to be able to go to different restauraunts and also a few bars. Also, how much does it rain in June? I know its supposed to be sunny in the morning at that time of year, but does it rain all afternoon and evening or just for a couple hours?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice.

Kathy

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,953 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

Kathy...hard to tell you how much rain...but maybe as you said...nice mornings ,some afternnon showers...and if you guys like nature that is a lovely area...

Maybe split your vacation...2 nights around Arenal Volcano...like at Arenal Nayara hotel or Lost Iguana...romantic and nice...then to Santa Tereza...

roadadvisor

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
63 posts
2. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

Santa Teresa is a nice area but I would split it up as well...especially if your not surfers. Mal Pais and Montazuma are close by...you should check them out. Also, farther north Playa Tamarindo is a great beach and the town has a great night life. The Arenal are is very nice as well...just some suggestions.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

I've spent 5 days at the beaches in that area and I don't think there is enough to do. I agree with RoadAdvisor-split it up between the beach and inland...you'll get a much better "taste" of Costa Rica that way! Congrats on your upcoming wedding! :-)

louisville
Level Contributor
865 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

I think it would be just fine to stay in that area for that amount of time. I prefer to spend time in one spot to really get to know it as you are thinking about doing. I think there is much value in that verses running form place to place and finding that you have little time to really absorb a place.

The area does have day trips such as a trip to Montezuma and Cabo Blano National Park. Some of my favorite dining is in Montezuma but I would imagine it would be best to make that lunch detinations on a day trip and stick to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais for dinner.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

Depending on how active you want to be, your question is very debatable as you see from the above posts!

If you like the 'laid back', 'easy going' style of vacation, then spend your entire time in Santa Teresa. You can only do so much hiking, jungle tours, horseback rides and quad tours. If you want to hang in a hammock and read a good book or take long walks on the beach, this is the place to be.

Perhaps, you can look at splitting your time and stay in Santa Teresa for 7 days, then head up to the central valley and stay at the absolutely lovely Xandari or Las Orquidas for the remainder of your honeymoon and do some day trips up to the local volcanoes, coffee plantations and even downtown San Jose to round out your Costa Rica experience.

As far as weather goes....anything can happen just go for it!

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

#4 answered as I was going to - you say you like to get to know one place better rather rushing around, so do it. I prefer that way too But you can plan day trips

To Montezuma - horseback riding (search Trip Advisor for good companies) on the beach & ziplining can be fit into 1 day with lunch in between, Cabo Blanco is a great. I recommend a guided tour - you see more wildlife and learn a lot, I have included the website of one I like ( www.caboblancotravelers.com ).

Also there are the Montezuma waterfalls you can hike up to in about 20-30 min from town.

There are loads of restaurants/bars, but expect to use taxis a lot as the town is very spread out.

You say you are not surfers, but you could still take an hour lesson for a laugh

7. Re: Is nine / ten days too long to stay in Santa Teresa in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 10, 2011