We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has happened since 2008

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vienna, Austria
reviews: 7
What has happened since 2008

Hola

We´re in Santa Teresa/Mal Pais/Playa carmen feb. 2008 and thinking about retur this winter and are curious over what happened since then. Any more new restaurants in the "city"(playa carmen)? Is it getting buzy or is it still laid back. More people surfing in the waters. Any info about this is welcome. And by the way does anyone know rates for hire a 4wheel/week? Is the new playa carmen hotel still there? Thank you all.

Edited: 10:00 am, October 20, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: What has happened since 2008

Very much the same...some great new private homes...and more than are coming...but as a result of the financial situation in USA...no many investors or ugly developers...THANKS GOD!

roadadviso

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
2. Re: What has happened since 2008

Hola Assisy!

Yes, of course there are changes down here and many things that have remained the same....

New restaurants have sprung up....Azucar (was in Cobano) is now at Frank's Hotel, a new bakery, banks and shops. Some restaurants have moved locations (Brisas del Mar, El Chile Viola, Piedra Mar). Some new accommodations as well.

The price for quad rentals varies (if that is what you mean by 4wheel?). You can also rents vehicles through many of the big rental companies...they all have offices down here as well.

The Playa Carmen Hotel is still where it was built.

I wouldn't say there were any more surfers, since tourism has been a tad on the slower side due to the economics of the world, but there are still travellers from everywhere.

Many things remain the same....the beach, sunsets, the dirt roads....

Come back and check it out for yourself!

Vienna, Austria
3. Re: What has happened since 2008

Thank you very much for your answer, was very informative but I still wonder about the rates for a quad

Edited: 1:06 pm, November 04, 2010
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
4. Re: What has happened since 2008

We rented for about $50 a day, but we didn't do a whole week so you may be able to get cheaper.

Vienna, Austria
5. Re: What has happened since 2008

Thanks so much for the replies.

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
6. Re: What has happened since 2008

I'd recommend contacting the rental companies directly as the rates may vary a lot depending on season & length of time. So anyone elses answer may not give you an accurate idea. I do believe they are quite expensive though

Los Angeles...
reviews: 2
7. Re: What has happened since 2008

I just returned from 18 in santa teresa!

everywhere we looked to rent a quad was $75 a day. if you rented for a week the price dropped a little. i was shocked at the price of food in cafes and at the grocery store. so expensive! a dinner for 3 people of beans rice and chicken was about $60 on average. apparently a lot has changed in the last few years. so beware, it will be more pricy that it was in 2008! Bring your bandanas for the dust too!!! there is lots of traffic on the main dirt road. so much everybody has to walk around with bandanas!

8. Re: What has happened since 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, February 10, 2012