We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

Hello all! Firstly, thanks for being so informative on these boards, the knowledge you shared so far is amazing.

A friend and I are arriving in San Jose on August 21st at around 6:30 pm. We decided it'd be best to stay the night there, and plan on traveling into Santa Teresa on the 22nd. (We see the bus we wish to take leaves at 2pm and 6pm.) How has the weather been thus far? Do you think the bus will be operating, or should we plan on renting an ATV? I saw online that sometimes during the green season the roads are impossible to travel with anything other than a 4x4.

In any case, how much money is it to rent a 4x4 or a car to take into Santa Teresa? If we rented it, would we be forced to rent it for the duration of our trip, since we couldn't return it until the day of our departing flight?

Speaking of that- our departing flight is at 7:40 AM... we thought we'd save money, stay up all night, and take a taxi back to San Jose.. is that foolish? Should we head back the night before..? The flight departs on August 29th. We really want to maximize our time in Costa Rica and we are meeting friends who will have arrived in Santa Teresa days before us. They are also staying longer than us.

Will it rain every day?

Thanks in advance!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

Hard to answer about the weather...most of the time ...not a rule...it rains in the afternoons ro nights...

The rest of your questions the best person to answer them...wefish is the correct person!

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
2. Re: Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

Thanks Roadadvisor! I think I can handle this question....except for the weather part...as Roadadvisor has already stated, usually, it rains in the afternoon or night, but this year, the weather has been so different and what usually occurs has not been the case. The crystal ball is broken! All I can say is that you will see sun and rain, how much of each? who knows!

You are correct on staying the night in the central valley and depart the next day. If you are not wanting to wait until the afternoon to catch the direct bus to Santa Teresa, then I suggest the next best thing is to catch one of the shuttle buses which leave around 8 AM. Check out the Q & A on transportation on the Santa Teresa page, top right side for further links to shuttle buses. They are usually around $40-45.

If you stay near the airport, in Alajuela, you will get a head start with the shuttle bus connections.

You can rent a 4x4 or Quad when you get to Santa Teresa if you feel you need the transport. The roads are in bad shape, muddy, potholes filled with water and slow going, especially after a good rain. It is best to check out a couple of places that rent down here when you get here and see if you can get a better deal rather than arrange something ahead of time.

As for your departing flight, you should get back to Alajuela the day before your flight in the morning. You have to be there at least 2 hours ahead of your flight time and the ferries that you need to take do not run all night, so your idea to stay up all night and take a taxi back is not going to work. The only way you can maximize your time in Santa Teresa is to take a regional flight back (one of the late afternoon flights) and enjoy an evening out in the city.

Stay safe and have a fun vacation.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 57
3. Re: Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

www.adventure-inn.com

close to the airport best for early AM flight

come back the night B4

Have fun,

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
4. Re: Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

Everyone has their favorite place to stay near the airport - my favorite is Hotel Los Volcanes which is an old house that has been re-done. They have several types of rooms and a HUGE breakfast included as well as free internet. It is located near the center of Alajuela where you can do some shopping or banking or find a good restaurant and it is safe to walk around. You can even get an ice cream and sit in the Park. It is about 5 minutes to the airport and a taxi costs about $4.

5. Re: Santa Teresa- August 21st-31st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 07, 2011