We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

I booked this vacation four months ago and we are really looking forward to this. 101 more days until Villas Hermosa. The "countdown" officially begins tomorrow. . . . . . .

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Great...goood to know!

101'100'99.....

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
reviews: 3
2. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Nice! I am happy for you!!

I did my own Santa Teresa's countdown about 9 years ago, and I never left!!!

We settled down here, got a business, and started a family.

The whole area is amazing, but Santa Teresa is far the most beautiful and appealing town, and it has the greatest vibes from all..!

Let us know if you need help on deciding where to stay or to eat, there are many great options!!

Have a great trip, hope to see you around!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
3. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

It's great to see enthusiasm! You will be staying at a wonderful place and you can guarantee a memorable vacation! Hope you will be counting down the days for your return after this one!

We also were very excited about our first trip down here and that was 14 years ago and we still count the days of our return when we have a break and 'escape' from paradise for our North American 'reality check'!

Wilmington, North...
reviews: 2
4. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Hi I've been reading a lot of posts trying to decide where to go. Hopefully heading to CR IN April probably around the 15th for about 7-8 days. I'm traveling with my 17 yr. old daughter and 15 yr. old son. Probably will fly from the staes into Liberia....seems closer than San Jose? Looking for intermiate surfing and eco sightseeing and lots of beach. Looking for something close to a small village(grocery,drinks,eat)and real close to the beach. Not quite sure if I want to rent a car? Is it advisable? I'm thinking about Santa Teresa and also Quinones Beach in Nosara.Any suggestions would greatly help. I'm overwhelmed and would really appreciate any advice. Thank you, Beth

Santa Teresa, Costa...
reviews: 3
5. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Hi Beth,

It is really nice to know you are taking a trip to Costa Rica with your kids!!

Go mom!! :D

By your description of the ideal place for your vacation, defenately Santa Teresa will be better for you. Playa Guiones is an amazing place, but to far from the kind of action you are going to be needing in order to keep the kids busy..!

There are many nice places you could stay in Santa Teresa, but I think the best location for intermediate surfing lessons, groceries, pizza places, restaurants and shopping will probably be closer to the Soccer field (or Plaza de Futbol, in Spanish).

There are 2 beach entries, and the closest bay is perfect for surfing, all levels, sunbathing, or jumping on the tide pools by the rocks. :)

About Liberia being closer, there are no regular charters doing that route, it will take you about 4-5 hours, most of it on a gravel road, to get by taxi($230)/rental car(80+) from Liberia until Santa Teresa, plus, to flight into Liberia, normally costs a few hundreds more.

The drive from San Jose is not shorter, about 5-6 hours, but there are many options, you could take a taxi($200), a charter($35p/p), a bus with AC($14), or even a charter Flight into Tambor (25min)($90), and then a cab for about an hour($45).

There are 2 companies that run the flights, but I will recommend www.flysansa.com, because their airport is right by the international terminal.

I think I covered all your doubts, but I will be happy to answer any other question!

Have a great week!! and thanks for choosing Costa Rica!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
6. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Hola Wilmingtonncbeth:

For more exposure, my suggestion is to ask your question in a new post so you can get specific answers from travelers that are not reading the original post, which doesn't really touch on what you are asking.

I totally agree with BabsCarr, Santa Teresa is an ideal place compared to Playa Guiones for activities and entertainment with regards to the teens. Santa Teresa has much more price variety in accommodations and restaurants.

If you read the TA Insider pages or 'top Q & A' you will find travel suggestions from San Jose, which is much easier to get to Santa Teresa from than Liberia. Flights to San Jose tend to be less expensive.

You will also have to take into account that you may have to reserve one day on each side of your vacation for travel to and from Santa Teresa unless you take a regional flight which can possibly work into your arrival and departure times from San Jose. Flying is much more expensive than the bus system, or even renting a car, but you have to weigh out time for travel, spending a night near the airport in comparison.

So, if you are looking at a 7-8 day vacation, you will likely spend only 5-6 in Santa Teresa.

Points to ponder.....but, both Santa Teresa and Nosara are off the beaten path which make the areas more desirable to visit.

Hope this helps somewhat, but it you are more confused, keep asking us questions! We are here to help!

Hamden, Connecticut
reviews: 5
7. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

Our family of 5 (3 adult children) are planning a trip to Santa Teresa in January and have narrowed our choices to Villas Hermosas and Casa MarBella. We ant to surf, fish, and do some tours. Which of the 2 hotels do you recommend for overall convenience, atmosphere, food and cleanliness?

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

If you are going to Santa Tereza...Mal Pais...Montezuma...is better to fly to SJO...more choices...of transportation...

roadadvisor

Dallas, TX
reviews: 29
9. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

47 more days until Santa Teresa. We're sure looking forward to this trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: What's Your Countdown to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais?

You're making me jealous!! I love that area; it makes me want to get back soon! If you have the time, make the drive out to Cabuya and kick-back at the Coyote Cafe for for a relaxing, delicious meal surrounded by the rainforest. The outdoor seating in the back is secluded and completely chill. The food is amazing and the owners are awesome! You can easily spend a few hours there without even realizing it!

Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa