We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
GEORGIA
reviews: 4
transportation

What is the best way to travel from Monteverde to Santa Teresa? How long will it take to make this trip?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: transportation

The best is with your own rent a car...about 6 to 7 hours...including good ferry connections...and ferry time...

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
2. Re: transportation

Depends on what time of the year you are traveling.

If you want an adventure, drive across the bridge at the top of the Gulf of Nicoya and drive the very rough road and see some real Costa Rica. Or like roadadvisor suggested, take the ferry, but this route takes you along the main highway and then through the city of Puntarenas and across the ferry at the lower end of the gulf which puts you onto the road that is still very bad and rough, just not as long of a rough road.

There are numerous routes on the Nicoya Peninsula that are even more of an adventure crossing rivers which are accessible only during the dry season.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 57
3. Re: transportation

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/general/map.php

always rent a car out of SJO will take you 6 hours or so with stops

some shuttles like Montezuma also not as nice as rental

www.thebusschedule.com for bus cheap but long grungy

watch your stuff....have fun,

Durham, Connecticut
reviews: 52
4. Re: transportation

I recently posted the below...

Just a note for those looking for a private driver while spending time in CR. This was our third trip and third time we saved the arguing and hired us a driver. It always ends up being a good decision. Hiring Danny was our best so far. He is punctual, reasonably priced and excellent company.

He drove five hours on his day off to get my family out of an ugly situation, didn't have to ask twice! If you are looking for a driver/guide keep Danny in mind! You'll be pleased you did!

crdannytravels@yahoo.com

Vancouver, Canada
5. Re: transportation

Is it possible to rent a car in Monteverde, drive to Santa Teresa and then drop the rental car off in San Jose?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: transportation

High dropp off charges in Monteverde sorry!

ROADADVISOR

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
7. Re: transportation

Probably less hassle and less cash out-put if you hire a driver or take a shuttle. When you are in Santa Teresa, hire a car or a quad for the time you are here, then shuttle back to the central valley, or take the direct bus.

Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: transportation

Thanks for the input. Wefish88 you mentioned taking a shuttle rather than renting a car, I couldn't find a tourist bus/shuttle that travelled down the coast as I was hoping from Monteverde to travel to Tamarindo, Nosara and Santa Teresa. Do you know what tourist bus companies travel down the peninsula or is the local bus the only option?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
9. Re: transportation

klw123:

try this site: http://thecostaricashuttle.com/

it gives you an idea of the options and the many companies that can be of service to various parts of the country.

Tamarindo, Costa...
reviews: 8
10. Re: transportation

This is the shuttle company that I use for clients that want to go to or leave the Montezuma, Sta Teresa area.

http://www.thebluezoneshuttle.com/