We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durango
Dengue Fever?

How worried do we have to be? Reading Tico Times mentions big outbreak? Anyone been there lately with local scoop on this?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Dengue Fever?

There is a big jump this year in the numbers of cases of dengue. There are areas that are worse than others. This has been a bad year for mosquitoes here in Costa Rica (well, a good year for them, I guess) and I have had to do different and various things to keep them out of my house. However, a small cold front came through with cooler air and some wind and in the past few days, I have seen only a few mosquitoes around. Perhaps this is the beginning of the end for the surge of dengue sickness.

The real key to preventing dengue is using insect repellent. Most Costa Ricans do not use insect repellent - I usually don't - because they are just used to the mosquitoes and don't bother. This is probably one reason the cases are on the rise.

To avoid dengue, use a good insect repellent - not really necessary to use DEET. The important thing is to be careful and vigilant about using whatever repellent you choose. You can bring your favorite from home or just buy something here. If you are staying in some kind of lodging where there are mosquitoes in your room, you can also burn a mosquito coil - not obnoxious and really works. Lodging with air conditioning helps as they do not like the cold.

Durango
2. Re: Dengue Fever?

Thank you so much for taking the time with your thoughtful reply, (and helping decrease my anxiety too!)

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
3. Re: Dengue Fever?

www.mdtravelhealth.com CR best CDC health info...

www.cutteradvanced.com and insect precautions

as well as staying AC hotel rooms or nets during peak feeding time

(dusk and dawn) works great...

Still quite rare in tourists numbers wise...

Mostly due to all the rain this year always

tails off in Dec-Mar...lots of problems in FL in the US also this year...

So prepare appropriately but relax odds are overwhelming you will be fine.

Have fun,

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Dengue Fever?

So glad that Hattie wisdom and great knowledge of our country help you...but another thing is that Tico Times is very much as the INQUIRER they have to sell papers...and some of the second class writers in the paper have nothing better to do...

Please come and enjoy our country ...bring a lot of repellent and hopefully you like it as much as we do!

Sincerely yours roadadvisor

New York
5. Re: Dengue Fever?

I am interesed in studying Spanish the second week of August in Costa Rica and am deciding between Manuel Antonio, Monteverde and Turrialba. I am a bit concerned about the recent dengue outbreak and keeping that in mind, I was wondering if anyone has any opinions of which location would be best?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Dengue Fever?

I like Manuel Antonio the beach is there...and nice place to spend a few days...

I will avoid anywhere around Florida a lot of cases of dengue there as well as New York...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
7. Re: Dengue Fever?

Your best location as far as dengue goes would be Monteverde. There is apparently lots less dengue in the cooler highlands such as Monteverde.

New York
8. Re: Dengue Fever?

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I would like to study in Monteverde. my only concern is that it is in Guanacaste and is pretty close to Canas and some of the other cities in Guanacaste that seem to have been hit hard by dengue this year. Any thoughts on that?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 14
9. Re: Dengue Fever?

Just wear bug spray with Deet where ever you decide to go.

Costa Rica
10. Re: Dengue Fever?

Monteverde is not that close to Canas and besides the terrain and the weather are totally different. Canas is in the hot lowland plains of Guanacaste and Monteverde is in the cool mountains. Think cloud forest. As I said before, if you are concerned about dengue, Monteverde is the better choice.

But I really would not let that stop me from going to the location I liked. As others have said, if you are diligent about using insect repellent, you won't have a problem. At night, you can burn a mosquito coil (not obnoxious and not expensive - it's kind of like burning a fragrant candle) and use a mosquito net for your bed.