We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica tour

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
costa rica tour

We are planning a 10 or 12 day trip to costa rica mid August.

I am looking at few tour companies to work with.

Any experience with kensington tours?

also is it best to work with a touring company or can you plan the trip on your own using hotel suggestions and day trip companies?

Would love any input on making this a great trip.

this would be for my self, husband and 15 year old boy ( all fit and active individuals)

We would like to spend that last days in santa teresa either at the red palm or florblanca resort

thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: costa rica tour

IMO you'd be better off working with a Costa Rica based tour operator. They are more sttuned to the weather, road conditions, what properties are under construction etc. You can do it all on your own if you like to spend the time doing research on the internet and through guidebooks (Moon Travel is my favorite although I've got them all).

For recommended Costa Rica based travel agents or tour operators you can do a search on this site for recommendations. One place to start might be http://www.crreferrals.com/TravelExperts.html who can help you custom design a tour for your family. Good luck planning!

2. Re: costa rica tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, August 01, 2010
Edited: 8:05 pm, August 01, 2010
Toronto
reviews: 26
3. Re: costa rica tour

I've been to Nicoya for three trips over the past 2 years and have always done it as DIY.

I don't think you need a tour agent as long as you're willing to do a bit of research.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
4. Re: costa rica tour

Pretty easy to travel on your own here or if you get overwhelmed use an agent. My favorite is another vote for cr referals - http://www.crreferrals.com/TravelExperts.html also Tucan mentioned above is one of the best http://www.tucanlimoservices.com/ Another good one Horizontes - http://www.horizontes.com/eng/

Cheers

Inca

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
5. Re: costa rica tour

IMO the hardest part is picking out a hotel and the correct location. If you have that figured out already then the rest you can do on your own. You can easily diy CR. Once you are at your hotel the hotel can offer lots of help with activities and then you can do it on your own schedule. I highly recommend using private drivers, you can learn a lot from them and make new friends.

Kansas
reviews: 76
6. Re: costa rica tour

I am not a Costa Rica expert but just got back from a great trip there. We did a Caravan Tour and I would highly recommend them. Some of the roads where you may want to go are not the best and they know a lot of great sites to take you. It is so easy, you just get on and off the bus where they stop and it is priced very reasonably. It includes all of your meals and they are good buffets that include "beans and rice", plaintains, squash which are part of the local cuisine and then they offer other items as well. Good food and great hotels. In Guanacaste - you stay at a 5 star JW marriott. San Jose and Fortuna are also nice places. In Fortuna we had a view of the volcano from our hotel room. Tortugeuro is rustic as it is an eco lodge but that is where you see the wildlife and we got a chance to see the sea tutles laying eggs on the beach at night as well (that is an extra cost) but all other excursions are included. You do a hike in a cloud forest with hanging bridges, see 2 volcanos, do hot springs in Fortuna, and more. Our guide was local but spoke very good english and provided a lot educational information about the country, the people, and the sites that we would have missed if we tried it on our own. Some of the roads leave a lot to be desired and the concept of addresses and mapquest are non existent as far as we could tell. Whatever you choose, I am sure you will love Costa Rica and it's people and nature. I was very impressed with the conservation and national parks in the country.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: costa rica tour

Thnbak you nice report...we love people like you...

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 57
8. Re: costa rica tour

tauck.com/tours/…costa-rica-travel-co-2010

best value upscale group tours...

www.costaricaexpedtions.com best for local custom tours

they own their own lodges

Personally perfer to self-guide in August rent a car from www.mapache.com

or other quality provider cruise around negotiate for 50% hospitality

discounts on quality hotels in best areas..

The way to go if you like freedom flexibility adventure

www.fodors.com the Gold Guides great guidebooks to review

if you decide to go that way...have fun,

on quality

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 57
9. Re: costa rica tour

www.costaricaexpeditions.com sorry typo...

10. Re: costa rica tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 15, 2011