We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 8
Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Hi,

I saw on another Santa Teresa topic that "Wefish" mentioned renting bicycles. He may have been talking about motorcycles. Either way, I am staying at Casa Marbella in November and want to surf a lot. At beach breaks like Playa Carmen and Santa Teresa, I like to check the surfing conditions up and down the beach each morning before I decide where to surf since conditions change due to tide, swell direction and the shifting sand bottom. Can I do that by renting a bicycle? If so, is the main road ok to ride on with a surfboard or is it very busy and narrow. More importantly, can I ride to the surf and leave a rental bike on the beach or road while I surf or will it likely be gone when I get out of the water. If I got an ATV instead, do surfers normally ride it to the place they want to surf and leave it parked there while they are in the water? I was thinking that these two beaches stretch so long that if I tried to do this all on foot that I would end up surfing based on proximity to the hotel instead of based on where the best conditions are. However, I could be wrong about the actual walking distance. All of your help is greatly appreciated. James

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
1. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Hey,

I was there about 2 weeks ago. An ATV is sooooo much fun in this area. The road in certain areas is very busy and either muddy or dusty. Tons of surfboards on ATVs. I will try and get the info on where we got our ATV from for you soon but I am still traveling Central America so don't have all my info together, just cards. Most places have red ATVs for rent, but we rented from a place near the banks that had white ATVs. They only keep them for 1 year then get new ones. Can't remember his name right now, but he has been around for a while. He is a little more expensive, like $5 more, but has some insurance and I got the feeling the area knows not to mess with his ATVs, vs the non Tico places that rent ATVs.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 13
2. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Hi Barney049!

I did mean bicycles...there is no motorcycle rental in the area.

If you are going to travel the entire stretch of road to check out the surfing beaches each day, I would recommend renting a Quad (ATV). You are going to be checking out about 6 K. of beach and most of the roads are not right along the beach, so you have to travel down each of the beach access roads to check out what is going on with the surf. You can also get an idea what is going on from your vantage at Casa Marbella, checking in at any of the numerous surf shops along the road, or find a spot that is to your liking and skill and just keep going back to the spot.

November can be a pretty low key surfing time of the year. Everyone is waiting for the bigger surf to start which seems to arrive around Dec. with the shift in winds coming from the north. (local surfers, correct me if I am wrong!).

You can rent a bicycle and carry your surf board if you are not going far, but it can be grueling if you are planning on any distance. The roads are usually in pretty bad shape in Nov., lots of potholes and some huge ones full of water, so carrying your surfboard can be challenging.

If you rent a Quad (ATV), please do not drive on the beaches. It is against the law to drive a vehicle on the beach and you don't know where turtles have nested, you could be driving over eggs or baby turtles.

Washington DC...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Thank you both for your responses. I will probably rent a quad for at least part of my time there ( total of 8 days). Mrolfes, if you can let me know the company you used and the price they charged, that would be great. Wefish88, 6K is a pretty long way so thank you for that info. With the quad, I won't ride on the beach. If you know of a good company and their rates for a week, please let me know. Thanks again. James

Durango
4. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Hi There - We are going soon to Santa Teresa - so where is best place to rent bicycles for transportation?

lmdelle

montezuma
reviews: 28
5. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

For bicycles, Arisha Surf Shop in front of Playa Carmen Commercial Center and above the liquor shop rents bikes at $8-$10 a day.

boston, ma
reviews: 1
6. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Barney,

While I was there, they were paving the road. It is not too thin - and people were riding quads with surf boards everywhere. The road is not in the best conditions, especially on the way to Montezuma.

I will give you a recommendation - bring ski goggles!!! If you do not have any, pick up a cheap pair! It only rained one day out of 12 while I was in Santa Teresa last year, and all the cars, motorcycles, and ATV's kick up a LOT of dirt. While driving an ATV, sunglasses let in dirt through the sides. Ski goggles protect your eyes from all the kicked up dirt. You will be very glad you brought them, even if you look silly!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
7. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Sorry it took so long. Here is the info on the business card.

QUAD RENTAL CENTER better rates & safety transportation to your hotel included. Moto scooters 100 cm3. All our quads are new 420 cc and have official mantenance by HONDA. 10 th aniversary of excelence & services to our clients. spanish, english and german spoken, Tel.: (506) 2640-0178/ 8818-0422

This place also picks you up and will drop you off after you are done renting. This is a big help IMO. Make sure to bring your drivers license. I agree about the googles. They sell them in ST but they are expensive. I also travel with a bandana for the same reason. It works for more then just a mask for the atv.

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Rent as quad...is so much fun...nice area to ride one...great rides...

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
reviews: 3
9. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

Since you are coming in November, there will not be dust in the road, but mud, and probably enough to make a bicycles ride a dirty problem...

It is indeed better to rent an ATV or small 4x4, and there are many places, but since you are staying in Casa Marbella, I would probably recommend some guys by Super Ronny (main Supermarket), they are called Quad Point, and they have great ATVs and most important, they are really nice and attentive people. There is another nice local guy call William, I do not have his contact info right now, but I could try to get it if you need...

Most of them just seeing you as "money" waiting to come, and they will charge amazing amounts for any small detail or issue they "discover" in the vehicle once you bring it back...

Make sure you do some research before ruining the last days of your trip with bad news like that ones!!

Have a great trip!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
10. Re: Bicycle/motorcycle/ATV rental

One other piece of advice for ATV rentals- some of the ATV rental places insist you bring the ATV back with a full gas tank. The only gas station I saw was outside of town off a difficult road. The place we rented from didn't require us to come back with a full tank.