We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
reviews: 9
San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

I want to get from the San Jose Airport to Malpais. I fly into SJO at 11:30 AM. I don't want to wait until the next day to get a Shuttle but I also don't want to pay $220 for a private Shuttle. I know that I could go to Coca Cola Terminal and catch the Directo bus that afternoon but since I will be by myself with a surfboard and bags and money, I feel somewhat insecure despite being a big guy ( but gringo). What do you think about taking a taxi to Puntarenas ferry from San Jose and walking on and then either catching the bus or a taxi from Paquera to Malpais? What do you think those taxis would cost? I was thinking I could come in considerably less than $220 and maybe somewhat faster than the directo bus. Is my insecurity about Coca Cola Terminal reasonable or paranoid?

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

OK - lots of questions here:

1. Have you checked into a shared van shuttle such as Interbus or Grayline?

2. A taxi from the airport to the ferry will be expensive - certainly more than $100.

3. What's the problem with catching the bus even if you have a surfboard and bags etc? You don't have to catch the Directo bus to Puntarenas. You can take the Pulmitan bus which goes to Liberia, get off at the entrance to Puntarenas and take a taxi from there to the ferry. (The town of Puntarenas is not on the InterAmerican Highway but about 10 km off the highway.) The Pulmitan bus station is not in the Coca Cola area and so is much less hectic and much safer.

4. Easier than going into San Jose - get a taxi to the bus station in Alajuela - it is called La Radial - and the Pulmitan bus stops there every hour on the way from San Jose to Liberia. The La Radial station is about 5 minutes from the airport.

Taxi drivers and bus drivers are used to people traveling with surfboards.

5. You can get a bus or taxi from Paquera to Malpais.

Check here www.thebusschedule.com for more information on bus travel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

Agree with Hattie...get to Puntarenas and then the ferry...at the other end some buses will take you....

roadadvisor

Washington DC...
3. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

Thanks for the info.

If I go to San Jose, I saw too schedules on different sites as follows:

Onthebusschedule.com

On Empresarios Unidos

leaving Calle 16 y Av 12

Tel 2222-8321

at

14:00

and

trycostarica.com

leaving San José, Calle 16, Ave. 1 y 3

on Transportes Hnos. Rodríguez

at

13:30

Does that look right? Also, is it two different options or just one route with those 2 stops in San Jose? Do you pay one price and then make connections at the ferry and at Paquera and Cobano? Once you get on at San Jose, how many times would I have to move my surfboard?

It seemed like too much uncertainty taking the bus to Liberia and getting off at Puntarenas entrance and then getting a taxi, then getting on the ferry and then catching another bus in Paquera. However, I may be wrong to think that this is any more difficult than the bus routes listed above. Please let me know.

Thank you for your help!

James

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
4. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

OK -- just so we are clear -- if you leave from San Jose, you will be taking two buses. One from San Jose to the ferry and then one on the other side. The bus does not go on the ferry. These are not "two stops" - they are two different bus stations. You will be looking for a bus that says "Puntarenas."

If you leave from the bus station in San Jose, you will have to get from the airport to San Jose by either taxi or bus. Then, you will get on the bus and ride back the way you came from so you can wave at the airport as you ride by. Then, once you are in Puntarenas, you will probably have to take a taxi from the bus stop to the ferry. (Maybe not - not sure just where this bus stops.)

If you take the bus from Alajuela, it is a short (and inexpensive) taxi ride to the bus station to catch the bus. It is not difficult at all -- take the Pulmitan bus and tell the driver you are going to Puntarenas. He will holler it out or you can just ask someone. It is a major stop. You will see a big Shell station on your right, a road that angles off to your left and there should be a few red taxis around. Take one of these taxis into Puntarenas to the ferry. On the other side, in Paquera, take the bus to Mal Pais.

If you think this is too difficult to do, you should really take the shuttle.

Washington DC...
5. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

My bad....

That is much better to go to Alajuela.

Thanks again.

Santiago
6. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

Sansa Airlines are making promotions right now!!!, check www.tacaregional.com or flysansa.com you need go from San Jose to Tambor, next of this take a taxi to Mal Pais, now is cheap, I recommended this for you, regards,

Rodrigo

Washington DC...
7. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

Thanks Rodrigo,

However, since my surfboard is a 7'4", I didn't think that was an option.

James

Santiago
8. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

O.K you can take the bus in Coca-Cola Bus Station or in Paso Villa Bonita, Red cab in the airport for this, is not more of 2000 colones, the bus leave from San Jose at 14°° hours and stop in Paso Villa Bonita around 14,30 pm

don´t use the official cab (orange). The hermanos Rodriguez bus are white with two lines green and yellow and say Mal Pais Santa Teresa.

Regards

Rodrigo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
9. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

Sorry...most of the time , I will not disagree with others...but when safety is an issue I always do...

Please, take the ORANGE taxi out of the airport...you may pay a little bit more...but you know you are dealing with a proffesional company...do not risk your possesions dealing with people that only God knows who they may be!

Once you are more familiar with our country and taxi's maybe you can deal with them...

roadadvisor

10. Re: San Jose Arpt to ferry by taxi, taxi fr ferry to Malpais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 11, 2010