We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville...
reviews: 9
Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

Hi there!

My husband & I are going to Costa Rica in just 2 short weeks. We plan on driving from La Cieba Tree Lodge, near Nuevo Arenal, to Santa Teresa. We are looking at www.yourtravelmap.com for driving directions, and it suggests driving around Nicoya Peninsula instead of driving to Puntarenas and taking the ferry to Paquera. Has anyone ever driven this route? Would it be better to drive from Nuevo Arenal to Puntarenas and taking the ferry over?

Thanks for your help!

A nice place
reviews: 3
1. Re: Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

Hi!

From Nuevo Arenal it's slightly shorter to take this route, from La Fortuna I would drive down to Puntarenas. The road to Playa Naranjo can be bumpy. If you want it more confortable you could take the ferry.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

I will do the ferry way...the other one the road is bad...bad news...long dusty drive...very personal opinion, based on my personal experience driving heavy trucks and cars around that area!

roadadvisor

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
3. Re: Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

We just did the drive last month and it was fine. Everyone complains about the rough road between Naranjo and Paquera, but really, what's the rush? If you were a bus or truck driver and had a schedule, then I would not be happy about it. Take it easy, enjoy the scenery. The dirt roads are often better than the paved ones in this part of the country. Wait till you get to Paquera and get on the paved road...you will wish you were on the dirt road...the pavement is soooo full of pot-holes, who knows how deep some of them are! Your speed will definitely decrease for fear of damaging your vehicle! If we can, we usually choose a dirt road over the paved ones just for this reason.

I suggest you make the drive over the bridge and down the peninsula and when you have to return to San Jose, take the ferry.

Enjoy the adventure!

Fayetteville...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

Thanks everyone for your advice! We leave in 2 days...can't wait!

5. Re: Driving from Arenal to Santa Teresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 02, 2010