We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alcohol and easter

Which Gulf of Papagayo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
alcohol and easter

will the riu serve alcoholic drinks during easter weekend?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: alcohol and easter

In answer to your other post asking the same question --- it is illegal to sell alcohol on Thursday and Friday before Easter.

Shreveport...
2. Re: alcohol and easter

i read where some resorts get permits and are able to. wasnt sure if Riu was one of these or not. i emailed them but no response.

Costa Rica
3. Re: alcohol and easter

No resort can get a "permit" to break the law. If anyone is telling you this, they are wrong.

It is illegal to sell liquor on Thursday and Friday before Easter. Period. But given the history of the RIU, it wouldn't surprise me if they did anyway.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
4. Re: alcohol and easter

Neely78 - don't feel bad - I too have heard similar - that there are places that somehow get around the law. I heard this long before there was a Riu - and not necessarily illegally. Unfortunately I can't confirm this from personal experience as I have never stayed at any AI in CR. However, when you look at it - they are not actually selling alcohol - they are serving it if you want it as part of a deal you had paid for. No money is changing hands at the time you are being served. So what you have heard may actually be correct.

I had heard years ago that in certain restaurants - not AIs, the owners would get creative by serving "special" punches etc. which had alcohol in them.

It is too bad the RIU has not replied to you. It would be interesting to hear from people who have actually been to AIs in CR at Easter (not necessarily the RIU) about their experiences.

When you get back, please come back to the forum and report on your experiences.

pura vida

raquel

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: alcohol and easter

They changed this law a few months back. It is now up to local municipalities: ticotimes.net/Current-Edition/News-Briefs/Wh… (third paragraph)

Costa Rica
6. Re: alcohol and easter

Well, I wouldn't count on that. There's been many a "slip" betwixt the legislature and laws actually going into effect. And the article you refer to is wrong about one thing: they say the closure was Thursday through Saturday and it's just Thursday and Friday.

If liquor sales are prohibited either by the Costa Rican government or the local municipality - Carrillo - then hotels and restaurants have always found ways around it. Since this forum is not the right place for encouraging people to break the law, I'll just leave it at that. As I said... stock up on Wednesday.

Just be prepared because anyplace serving liquor will have the police show up and tape up all the stocks of liquor and they will return at least once to check.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 108
7. Re: alcohol and easter

It's a very simple solution: Buy alcohol BEFORE the cut-off and you will have it during the restricted time (or whatever the law is by the time you get here). :-) Plus, making drinks in your room is a LOT cheaper than buying it at the bar. :-) Enjoy!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
8. Re: alcohol and easter

It is even simplier. Just don't drink alcohol for these two days. Thus you will show respect to country tradition, to country law and to yourself. How hard it could be?!

Bx
reviews: 18
9. Re: alcohol and easter

Just don't drink alcohol for these two days. Thus you will show respect to country tradition

The country tradition is to have purchase all the alcohol ahead of time. The tradition is to go to the beach, plant a tent, bbq, and get drunk. Multiple families or groups will get together and rent one hotel room so they can use the shower and the bathroom and split the cost.

The laws are now up to the municipality, it is no longer a national law. The old closure was not all day Saturday but through Saturday at noon or afternoon.

The poster should contact Rui and they will let him know whether the municipality allows sales. If not, purchase what you need before then and then purchase more than you need because others will want booze, too.

10. Re: alcohol and easter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 08, 2014