We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Riu Palace

Which Gulf of Papagayo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
port perry
reviews: 3
New Riu Palace

Although the Riu Guanacaste does get some good reviews, discussions on the forum, not so much.

Was the new Riu Palace built more so in keeping up with environmental concerns? Hope so, as I do like the Riu chain of hotels.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
1. Re: New Riu Palace

I believe the new one is on the same property and the concerns therefore would be the same. Especially since Costa Rica is about nature your question is very much appreciated. I am sure others with better knowledge of the situation will come in soon. Wherever you decide to stay, have a great time.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
2. Re: New Riu Palace

The damage was in the destruction of wildlife habitat at the site of the two resorts. So, the new one will be tainted by those crimes as well.

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
3. Re: New Riu Palace

The "new" RiU is just an addition to the RiU they built a couple years ago. They are right next to each other and they have torn down a ton of forest for development.

The RiU had some damage and closed for a little while after the earthquake, so I was told.

A lot of people quit their jobs because they don't want to be inside if another big quake hits.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 26
4. Re: New Riu Palace

Few hundred year old protected trees suddenly died (illegaly poisoned) this cleared the land for building the RIU Palace.

I realize many really do not care about the enviroment but more concerned on eating and drinking all that is physicaly possible in the AI. However to me the ethics of any company that is willing to lie and brake the law comes into question in regards to what else would the do to cut costs and maximise profits.... Hide structural damage or use highly toxic products to address the beg bug issues reported in reviews...?? If tey can lie to a government would they lie to their customers?

Wikipedia RIU there is info on enviromental issues in Costa Rica RIU.

port perry
5. Re: New Riu Palace

Thanks for the replies. You would have to be very foolish to go to either resort.

We will stick with the plan of getting a villa again. Since we are a family of eight that worked well for us last year.

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
6. Re: New Riu Palace

Excellent choice!

There are so many beautiful, more private, customizable options here in Costa Rica. Is "customizable" a word?! hahah!

Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
7. Re: New Riu Palace

If you want to see a country, its people, and what it has to offer, avoiding AI's in general is a good idea. AI's are good for what they offer (food, drink, pool, beach, entertainment), but by design they isolate their guests from the rest of the country.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 31
8. Re: New Riu Palace

This article pretty much speaks for itself. Is this really the kind of company you would spend your money to support? Creating jobs – sounds more like slavery to me! insidecostarica.com/2012/…

Downers Grove...
9. Re: New Riu Palace

At the RIU Palace in Costa Rica. What is the view difference between a Jr. suite garden view, and Jr. suite balcony/terrace? I would like a view of the jungle on that south side of the new RIU and some ocean viewing. What location do I ask for?

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 31
10. Re: New Riu Palace

That's a tough call..the final resting place of the dead monkeys or the fake beach where the life giving mangroves once were... I would chose to stay anywhere else!

Get answers to your questions about Gulf of Papagayo