We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports

Corpus Christi...
reviews: 11
Passports

Are tourists required to carry their passports with them when traveling to and from tourists attractions? We've traveled to other countries and usually just take a copy of our passports. Thanks!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
1. Re: Passports

You can carry a copy but make sure that you have your entry stamp into Costa Rica copied too.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Passports

Great point by Sara...!

roadadvisor

guanacaste
reviews: 33
3. Re: Passports

on the check point 15km from Liberia , on route #1 back to San Jose, you will be required the original. So, if you go in a large bus you will be better of carrying your passport.

Tamarindo, Costa...
4. Re: Passports

Also, make sure that you carry your passport if you plan on driving with a foreign driver's license. A foreign driver's license is considered a standalone legal form of ID here.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
5. Re: Passports

Jose b's point would also be valid on the road to Limon from the South Caribbean, where proximity to Panama means there's a passport check at Tuba Creek 10 minutes north of Cahuita. Lacey23 was only asking about to and from tourist attractions, presumably they'd be traveling on longer journeys with all their luggage and documents but it is a point worth making. You may also find that your actual passport is required as ID for credit card payments and will be needed for bank transactions.

This is becoming complicated! I hope that is everything but I'm sure that other posters will chip in with any missed essential information!

Corpus Christi...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Passports

We are taking a private tour from the Hilton to the Boringuen area. Would rather take a copy if we can but will take the passports if needed. Don't know where these checkpoints are.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
7. Re: Passports

Never met a check point between Liberia and the border (North) when I use Tica Bus, but of course original needed after that.

Tamarindo
8. Re: Passports

You will not be passing any checkpoints on that route. You will very likely not need it and a copy will suffice. Now in saying that, I recently did have a discussion with a police officer about that very matter. He told me that a copy is good enough if you're close to your hotel and can, if need be, go back and get it. However when traveling outside of your hotel, more than a few minutes away, it is highly recommended that you take the original. If you were stopped for whatever reason you don't have to become subject to some bribe-seeking, cop.

Upon arrival at your tour destination, lock it up in the bus' glove box.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 4
9. Re: Passports

lacey23, we are going next month to the Hilton and taking the same type of tour....I sent an email to our tour company that we are using and was told a copy is just fine. Leave your original in your safe. But possibly make a copy of your passport after you have the stamp though. I believe the Hilton has a business room that I'm sure has a copier we can use. Hope this helps.

Have a great time!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Passports

No problema at the hItlon to copy or scan any document...do not worry!

roadadvisor