We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

Alabama
reviews: 5
Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

Travelling to Hilton Papagayo with teenagers and interested in booking some tours. Can I wait until I arrive in March or is it best to prebook? Also, many conflicting reports on TA on whether to use the Hilton tour companies or other outside groups. What is the real story? Any suggestion on top 3 to try with teenagers? Many thanks in advance for your time

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

Maybe try some free lancers and some companies that do not work directly to the hotel...some times more expensive for no reason!

Ecotrans is a good local company...100% own and run by Costaricans!

roadadvisor

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 56
2. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

www.papagayovargastours.com best in that area

Rincon with teens great fun,

liberia
3. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

try

www.memo-adventures.com

www.costaricaforeveryone.com

www.tours-your-way.com

local people runing good tours..those are my recomendation.

by the way the owner of Ecotrans is Italian..Alesandro, I just want to comment that..they are also good.

hope this help with your trip.

Alabama
reviews: 5
4. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

Thank you for your suggestions. Is it necessary to book in advance?

liberia
5. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

you better ask each company if is necesary...I think is better, personal opinion!

pura vida

Texas
6. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

In all of our travels we have NEVER found a tour company that provides the level of service and personal attention like Avispa's Adventures!

It’s the little things that they do that make the big difference. They think of everything! Their prices are very competative but there is NO comparison in service. I would not use anyone BUT Avispa’s! I wish there was an “Amy” and Avispa’s Adventures in every country!

…typepad.com/avispas_adventures/…index.html

liberia
7. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

American people pretending to be Costa Rican...the idea is help local businesses and explore the real country with the real people...

by the way...are Avispa's tour guides certify by the ICT? they have licenses? don't think so...

hope you have a good time in CR...pura vida

Texas
8. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

Happy Traveler,

I don’t know where you get your information or how up to date it is but Avispa’s Adventures was just recognized by the tourism board of Costa Rica as a reason for people to visit Costa Rica and their guides are in fact licensed.

Avispa’s is a locally owned business and they do a lot to help the community. Jose (Avispa) is Costa Rican. He and his wife Amy show you the REAL Costa Rica and when you meet them you will know that you will never find two people so genuine. (You should make sure your info is correct before you post it.)

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

I support AVISPAS 100% nice people...a lot better than some expats...that have no idea about our culture, values and history!

roadadvisor

liberia
10. Re: Hilton Papagayo tour guides-the real truth?

Not having anything against Avispa's, just that I like to say things like they really are:

The fact that someone speaks English and have a seat in front of a tour bus does not make him a tour guide.

Already saw this coming, charity is not something that should be used to promote a business, I know some tour companies also helping their communities, donating wheelchairs to the elderly and books to schools without having to show this to their customers ... who wants to help helps without trying to promove his business.

Here is the link where companies are recognized by the ICT (tourism board of CR), I don't see Avispa's in there.

visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/categoria.asp…

I'm sorry "SarahMe" just wanted to show my opinion...

pura vida