We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sell batu ferranghi to me......

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
reviews: 115
Sell batu ferranghi to me......

Just wanting to get a fell for batu ferranghi . Not sure if it is for me or not ? I have travelled in SE Asia quite a lot and have never been to penang YET. I love Cambodia ko tao and ko Chang also hua hin.

I love eating out and a bit of shopping.

A decent hotel pool is a must .

My biggest concern is that batu ferranghi may be too built up? Is it anything like hua him? The name penang conjures up images of swaying palms and the smells of chicken satay wafting in the breeze.

Will I be very disappointed ? Are there too many western fast food joints?

Any comments very welcome, thanks in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Batu Ferringhi
reviews: 32
1. Re: Sell batu ferranghi to me......

Hi,

it is difficult to answer such a broad question as with most places you often just need to visit the place for yourself, only you know what you do and don't like and if you will be dissappointed. If you liked Hua Hin then I think you will like Penang. For me I liked Hua Hin but I love Penang. They are both different in their own way, but both offer fantastic food, night markets and good massage. I haven't been to cambodia so cannot offer you a comparison there.

You will have no trouble finding fantastic cheap food in Batu Ferringhi. If you have a look at the FAQ at the top right of the page for Penang it will answer many of your questions, and also browse through the hotels and resturants at the top of the page for batu ferringhi, here you will be able to narrow it down to what you want budget wise and read reviews from other TA guests.

Are you travelling with children?

I can only give you advise on Golden sands resort as this is where I stay. But it sounds like it meets your description for pool, palms, beach and situated amongst the strip of great eating local food. I don't eat western fast food overseas or in australia, but you will find that is becoming quite popular in all asian countries. Penang is no different and they do have KFC and Mcdonalds in Batu Ferringhi.

Hope that helps

Angela

Doncaster, United...
reviews: 52
2. Re: Sell batu ferranghi to me......

Hi

I cant compare it to many other places in S.E Asia as we have only been to B.F, Singapore & KL in this region

All I will say is that we said we would never visit the same place twice (not within a few years anyway) when flying long haul as its such a big world, however we went last March and are going back in 2 weeks. Something about the place just got under our skin, can't quite put our fingers on what.....the food was amazing, it truly is food heaven in my opinion, the hotel was lovely (Golden Sands) the people were fab, but many other places we have been have also been great.

Long haul wise we have been to Singapore, Bali, Cuba, Sri Lanka, Dubai....all of which we loved, we have never considered rushing back to them anytime soon though, not like this place.

Word of warning, the beach looks nice but its not a good idea to swim in the sea because of jellyfish and apparently the waters are a bit murky, if your a beach person it might not be ideal for you. I am a pool person, I like a walk on the beach but much happier lazing round a pool.

As I say I cant quite explain why we loved it so much....it must have some mysterious charm ?

manchester
reviews: 115
3. Re: Sell batu ferranghi to me......

Thanks both of you for your very informative replie. Librian2000 I know what you mean, sometimes you have to try it for yourself.

Lil miss sunshine , it seems like you are well and truly smitten.

I think I will go and give it a go :)

Reply to: Sell batu ferranghi to me......
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi