We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

Which Fish Hoek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
reviews: 1
Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

Considering a move to this region of South Africa - could anyone advise the best area with good primary schools for an English family? Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
Kent
1. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

I used to live in Clovelly, Fish Hoek, very nice area & safe with only one way in & a police station very close. Can't help with schools here, the only one I know of that other English families used was the International School of Cape Town.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

I've had close ties with Fish Hoek since the 1960s. Fish Hoek has excellent English Schools (Primary and High) and the Cape Penisnsula in general has many fine English schools, both Private and Public, whether from adademic, sporting or cultural viewpoints.

Swellendam, South...
reviews: 40
3. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

Hello ladybay

What a fabulous idea! One of my favourite parts of Cape Town.

There is quite a lot to take into consideration here:

Private or not?

How far would you like to travel?

What kind of schooling, ie. Montessori, Waldorf or standard?

Here is a detailed comprehensive guide to all schools in South Africa http://www.schoolguide.co.za/, some even with reviews..

On a personal note, my cousin lives in Fishoek, but she prefers to send her children to the Waldorf school in Kenilworth because she likes their teaching ethos.

It's a very personal decision. Good Luck with it. And do let me know if I can help further...

With love,

Alison

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
reviews: 7
4. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

I am so jealous! I want to move to Fish Hoek!

Cape Town
reviews: 53
5. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

Fish Hoek - in a valley, mostly 60/70/80's built houses with a few modern complexes. Popular with families, not too pricey. Has government run primary and high school, supermarkets etc.

Simonstown - quite pricey, houses up against mountain with small gardens. Lots of charming houses with history, lots of modern monoliths high up on the hill. No shops or schools really I think, so not the most practical for a family IMO.

Glencairn - between Fish Hoek and Simonstown - usually more modern houses and often with nice sea views as many are up on the mountain.

Sunvalley and Sunnydale - fall within Fish Hoek and pretty similar to Fish Hoek, except houses perhaps more modern. Some security complexes in Sunnydale/Milkwood Park.

Noordhoek - below Chapmans peak, more exclusive with open fields, vineyards and horses paddocks. Quite pricey.

As an English family coming to SA I would suggest you get a place inside a security complex for your peace of mind. Any of the areas mentioned above are suitable for a family as they are all within reach of the same schools really - it really just depends on your preferences. I would check out the following links to get an idea of the houses in each area:

property24.com/for-sale/…475

property24.com/for-sale/…479

Also this website which has quite a bit of information on the area: http://www.scenicsouth.co.za/

Edited: 5:59 am, November 04, 2011
Camps Bay, South...
6. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

I think I would feel secure in a normal house in Fish Hoek but the precious poster does have some excellent points

Swellendam, South...
reviews: 40
7. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

I agree with Piet. As mentioned, my cousin lives in Fishoek in a normal house, she's a single mom and has never had any problems.

Camps Bay, South...
8. Re: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area

saps.gov.za/statistics/…western_cape.htm

Crime stats for the area back up my claim - fewer burglaries than the area I lived in in London, but then supposedly UK is 7th and SA 11th for burglaries in the world. I think the fear of burglary is irrationally high in SA. I live in Bakoven without any security apart from a burglar alarm.

I am sure you will love living in Fish Hoek. My favourite swimming beach - just make sure you get out of the water if there is a shark warning!

Reply to: Moving/Living is Fish Hoek/Simon's Town area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fish Hoek