We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad weather alternatives - National Park

Which Tongariro National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
reviews: 18
Bad weather alternatives - National Park

I'm deciding between staying at National Park or Ohakune to do the Alpine Crossing. On one hand, National Park Village is much closer to the start of the track, but I'm wondering what we could do if the weather turns miserable?

7 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
1. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

Are there any shuttle services from Ohakune to the start or end of the TC? Given that the Crossing takes at least 7 hours I would recommend staying as close as possible to the start/finish. If the Crossing is ruled out by high winds or poor visibility, there are several lovely walks at lower altitude accessed from Whakapapa Village in the TNP. If it is raining or snowing then you could carry on to Ohakune.

Auckland, New...
2. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

Thanks!

Oh I should clarify that we will be travelling by bus, so we won't have instant transport to other townships. Hence, if we can't do the walk, we prefer to have walks/activities around where we stay.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Macau
reviews: 204
3. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

So, back to my original question- have you worked out if there are shuttles from Ohakune to the TC?

Auckland, New...
4. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

Yup, there are shuttles from Ohakune to the crossing and back, that's not a concern at all.

Ballarat, Australia
5. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

I would stay in Whakapapa Village. There are some sheltered walks there for poorer weather, and if the weather turns really bad you can while away a day in the bar at the Chateau. :)

Wellington, New...
6. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

Hi Zemien,

Did you end up using a Shuttle company from Okahune by any chance? If so which one did you go with?

Ben

Auckland, New...
7. Re: Bad weather alternatives - National Park

Ben,

We ended up staying in National Park Village just for the proximity to the start. I believe all accommodation providers can arrange transport for you, just because it's such a big thing there. Our accommodation Plateau Lodge has their own shuttles and I really enjoyed my stay there.

Reply to: Bad weather alternatives - National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park