We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Which Huancayo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
Huancayo Train, how much time there?

I have tickets for the train in May, leaving Saturday and coming back Monday. So I have Sunday to go to the market and perhaps to the valley of Montaro in the afternoon. But it sounds like I might enjoy more time in and around Huancayo. I know when I went to Colca Canyon I wouldn't have minded staying several more nights.

What does anyone think? How did you like the train, should I maybe cancel my return and take a bus back to Lima?

New York City, New...
reviews: 25
1. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Ah! The bus is so much cheaper AND quicker! It also follows nearly the same route along the river.

Have you been to Huancayo before? I went during a recent 4-day weekend and honestly I don't think the city itself has much to offer. We spent our two full days there visiting the small villages around the city. I think that was the perfect amount of time, but even a day and a half would have been okay.

I really recommend visiting the Santa Rosa de Ocopa convent. It doesn't compare to the convent in Arequipa, but the history behind it that you'll learn during the guided tour is really interesting.

california
Destination Expert
2. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Thank you for the feedback. No I have not been to Huancayo before.

Maybe I will try to drop the return train and take the bus back.

Any particular bus company that you used?

New York City, New...
3. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

I tried to book Cruz del Sur but it was sold out. They'd be the best company and probably won't be sold out during a regular weekend.

However, there is also a bus terminal in San Luis where there are a bunch of buses that just leave for Huancayo as they fill up. It is around 15 soles for a taxi there from Mirafores and it takes you to a terminal on the outskirts of Huancayo, about 7 soles to get to the center from that terminal. Those buses were around 30 soles one-way. Not as nice at Cruz del Sur though... stay away from their bathrooms!

Whangarei, New...
reviews: 41
4. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

The bus times did not suit us so we are flying to Huancayo from Lima next month with LCPeru.

california
Destination Expert
5. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

I will take the train to Huancayo, but maybe take the bus back if I decide to stay longer. Or if I decide that 12 hours on the train is too long. I am just going tourist class train so it isn't too much to forfeit if I can't get a refund for the return train. The train trip is one of the reasons I am going. It only runs twice a month starting in May, I just happen to be there on the right weekend.

I go to the Sunday market in Huancayo, maybe have time for a tour to the hinterlands. If I decide to see more it might be worth it to not go back on the Monday train.

It sounds like the busses back to Lima leave frequently.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Buses from the alternative stations I mentioned leave like every 30 minutes or so. There are seriously dozens of buses leaving whenever they are full.

We tried to take the train once for the ride itself as well, but the company messed up the booking and getting our money back was a huge hassle.

california
Destination Expert
7. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Ha! I am going to the offices the day before the train to be sure. I was able to buy the ticket online but it took two weeks to process the credit card. I used email and they replied that it was okay.

If only LAN were as easy to deal with.

Anyone else been on the train?

Edited: 6:02 pm, April 27, 2012
Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 14
8. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Bus terminal in San Luis as in "Terminal Yerbateros"? Please, do not go there. It's a really dangerous area. Many Limeños don't even dare to go to that place.

BTW, LCPeru does not fly to Huancayo but to Jauja, about one hour drive to Huancayo.

Edited: 11:54 pm, April 27, 2012
Miraflores
reviews: 2
9. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

I have done it several times. It is best to buy a first class ticket so you have access to the outdoor bar car for all the fun and sight seeing. Coming back on Sunday night/Monday morning it is all pitch black and very cold. One time we got stuck overnight in the Ticlio pass. Nothing to see in Huancayo but the surrounding area can be fun. There is a restaurant that has a trout pond where you catch your own lunch. In the future (this July) we plan to take the train to Huancayo stay one night to adjust to the altitude and then catch a bus to Oxapampa & Pozuzo . we will stay there for a few weeks and then return by bus to Lima.

california
Destination Expert
10. Re: Huancayo Train, how much time there?

Thanks Miraflores. Are you going into the yungas?

The return train I am on is a daylight train. Apparently they have switched it up this year so I have a full day on Sunday and leave early Monday am.

I didn't book the first class. I will see if I can upgrade when and if I ever make it to Lima. LAN permitting. I am at my wits end with them.

Who wants to call their back office in Lima for me and see if they can get my ticket fixed!!! She speaks Spanish so fast all I can understand is that I need to "wait". Maybe Friday or Saturday...today is Saturday...I leave Thursday. Maybe.

Edited: 8:28 pm, April 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Huancayo