We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

Which Outer Banks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 6
Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

they want to build into the Corolla area from the mainland?

6 replies to this topic
Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 49
1. Re: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

Don't believe there have been any recent news releases on the Mid-Currituck bridge. Others here may know more, but based on conversations I have had lately with local folks in OBX-don't count on it anytime soon.

Best way to avoid the most traffic seems to be the Sun-Sun rental. That and getting a early start to cross Wright Memorial Bridge.

Pittsburgh...
2. Re: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

Ya, I always try to go Sun to Sun. I usually go in Sept., but am looking at May and also looking to buy a place and was wondering for that aspect also...

Outer Banks
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
reviews: 45
3. Re: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

No time soon for sure. If I was to make a bet I would say not in the next 5 years for sure and more like 8-10 at the earliest --- if ever.

Pittsburgh...
4. Re: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

OBX200, what are the feelings on it by the local residents?

Edenton, North...
reviews: 155
5. Re: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

Mixed bag--some are happy about unclogging the congestion on the intersection of Hwy 12/US 158, others (particular Corolla folks) aren't pleased because it'll bring more people to the fairly isolated beach.

I wouldn't expect to see a bridge there for another 5 years, once the design, permitting, given law suits by SELC are resolved, and then finally, construction.

Outer Banks
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
reviews: 45
6. Re: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....

Yes, Sandandsun is correct. Those going on Saturday will like it but Corolla will turn into Nags Head or KDH with gas stations, fast food and even more homes. Southern Shores people are all for it because they think it will ease traffic there, but with more people going up and down rt 12 I doubt it will help that much except on Saturday. The bridge going to Hatteras has been needed for years to replace what is there and the law suits and environmentalists just can't agree so I see the same mess in Corolla. 8-12 years is my estimate if it ever comes at all. Since it is not an island they could just build a road from Virginia to Corolla in less time if they wanted to and got the govt permission.

Reply to: Anyinfo on the status of the New Bridge.....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted