We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Family Vacation Suggestions

New Jersey
Fall Family Vacation Suggestions

My husband & I are planning a fall family vacation. Our family consists of 3 kids under the age of 5. I need some ideas of a good family travel spots in mid to late October. We are avid travelers who have lived in Germany for the past few years so have become decent at dragging the kids all over the place! We live in NJ & are looking for something in a driving distance (10 hours max). The timing is tough for north east travel this time of year because of the cool weather but we have no choice due to work restraints. Places I've considered & my concerns include:

1. Cape Cod: Is it absolutely dead this time of year? Plus, will the kids be bored since days at the beach are out.

2. Outer Banks: Same fear, what could we do if swimming at the beach / pool aren't options

3. Maine (Bar Harbor): Will it be too cold for 3 young kids? I really want to explore most of the Main coast since I've never been there before, but I feel like summer would be a more ideal time of year to explore the Maine coast.

4. Leaf Peeping in New Hampshire / Vermont: I'm afraid the kids will be bored to death just driving through small towns & looking at the scenery. Plus, in my town in NJ we have a bunch of farms so apple / pumpkin picking, corn mazes, etc are all within minutes of our house already.

5. Day trips: (Hershey Park, Great Wolf Lodge, Dutch Wonderland, ?? Other thoughts?): Good family fun - especially for the kids, but it's not getting away or relaxing since it's 100% kid focused.

Any advice & suggestions are truly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 22
1. Re: Fall Family Vacation Suggestions

Outer Banks No problem most everything keeps going until Thanksgiving. October is a good month ,Everything is still open but the crowds are reduced . This is a big fishing month . A lot of people are here for the fall run of the drum.

The water is usually still warm enough to swim but the night can be cool .. You can hit Sky line drive on the way home for some leaf peeping ,there is a Great Wolf Lodge on the way in Williamsburg Va as well as Bush gardens , They should still be open the. Or head up to Kings Dominion. There is a Great Western Hotel right next door with some good deals.

New Jersey
2. Re: Fall Family Vacation Suggestions

Thank you very much for your response!

I have narrowed down my initially very broad vacation ideas! I am planning to spend some time in the White Mountains region in NH & possibly heading into Maine too.

I decided to wait on the Outter Banks until the summer time. I've been to OBX several times & I absolutely love it there! But I think I'll save it for a warmer time of year so that we can maximize swimming & beach time.

Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
3. Re: Fall Family Vacation Suggestions

I would guess that the leaves may be past peak season in New England by late Oct, but you should ask on a regional board. I know mid October is peak season for the NC and Virginia mountains. I was going to suggest that. There are a lot of activities for kids and grown ups alike. There are some theme parks, some gentle hikes, waterfalls, scenic views, animal habitats, gem mining, etc.

4. Re: Fall Family Vacation Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 15, 2014