My husband & I are planning a fall family vacation. Our family consists of 3 kids under the age of 5. I need some ideas of a good family travel spots in mid to late October. We are avid travelers who have lived in Germany for the past few years so have become decent at dragging the kids all over the place! We live in NJ & are looking for something in a driving distance (10 hours max). The timing is tough for north east travel this time of year because of the cool weather but we have no choice due to work restraints. Places I've considered & my concerns include:
1. Cape Cod: Is it absolutely dead this time of year? Plus, will the kids be bored since days at the beach are out.
2. Outer Banks: Same fear, what could we do if swimming at the beach / pool aren't options
3. Maine (Bar Harbor): Will it be too cold for 3 young kids? I really want to explore most of the Main coast since I've never been there before, but I feel like summer would be a more ideal time of year to explore the Maine coast.
4. Leaf Peeping in New Hampshire / Vermont: I'm afraid the kids will be bored to death just driving through small towns & looking at the scenery. Plus, in my town in NJ we have a bunch of farms so apple / pumpkin picking, corn mazes, etc are all within minutes of our house already.
5. Day trips: (Hershey Park, Great Wolf Lodge, Dutch Wonderland, ?? Other thoughts?): Good family fun - especially for the kids, but it's not getting away or relaxing since it's 100% kid focused.
Any advice & suggestions are truly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!