We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Dallas, TX
reviews: 1
Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

How long of a drive is it to the Outer Banks (say Nags Head) from Williamsburg and Virgina Beach. We're not from this part of the country and will be visiting Williamsburg & Virginia Beach. We are considering driving down to the Outer Banks area for a day or two as well.

Thanks.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 45
1. Re: Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

I would say a little over three hours from the Virginia Beach area. Once you get around all the traffic in that area you then get on 168 and 158 which get very congested during the summer (especially Saturdays & Sundays). Most of the road is a two lane highway through pretty residential areas so it's not exactly a road you can set your cruise control and just ride, BUT I will say that it is well worth the time. If you haven't been to the outer banks I highly recommend it. I'm sure that if you visit you will want to go back again and again.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 45
2. Re: Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

I wanted to bring this back to the top of the forum posts since I was the only one to respond, and I keep wondering whether my memory serves me right on that estimate of a little over 3 hours. Maybe someone else will read this and can give a personal estimate from a trip already taken this year. Perhaps it's closer to 2 hours. I hate to say I won't really know for sure until our trip at the end of the summer.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

You are right it's probably closer to 3 hours than 2 hours. Not much has been done on the route from VaBeach or Williamsburg to the Outer Banks since I was in college at ECU back in the mid 60s.

Wilmington, N.C.
4. Re: Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

Like everyone else said, around 2-3 hours. Depends on departure and arrival places. I use to live in VA Beach, and I would take the top off of the Jeep, and drive down to Nags Head and Hatteras. VA Beach to Nags Head was only about an hour, hour and a half, but another hour and a half or so down to Hatteras. Traffic will play a role in your total travel time of course. But one thing for sure is, the constant beach dunes and ocean views are well worth the trip. You can also drive onto the beaches at certain designated areas (if you have 4WD). You'll see several lighthouses along the drive, and the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk. Hope you enjoy coastal VA and NC!

5. Re: Distance from Williamsburg or Virginia Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 05, 2009