We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale sharks

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 12
whale sharks

Are the whale shark tour operators finding lots of them this season? Is the town packed to capacity this time of year?

Darlington, Maryland
reviews: 47
11. Re: whale sharks

We just came back from Playa del Carmen. We booked a Whale Shark tour with EcoColors, and it was terrific. We left from a port just north of Cancun, took the boat out for about one hour (past Isla Mujeres) and found ourselves in the middle of about 50 Whale Sharks (plus VERY LARGE Manta Rays). The captain would maneuver the boat (there were about ten of us on board) in the path of the Whale Shark, and in groups of two or three we would jump in! On two of my jumps, the head of the Whale Shark was right in front of me! Quite Amazing.

And from what I understand, the much longer drive to Holbox (it was only a one hour drive from Playa del Carmen) is only part of the problem with leaving from Holbox. The other problem is that most of the Whale Sharks are over by Isla Mujeres, and that is probably a two hour boat ride from Holbox.

So whichever tour you use, make sure to get one that leaves from Cancun!

London, United...
12. Re: whale sharks

is the beg of september a good time to find whale sharks in the area thou?

Middleton...
reviews: 3
13. Re: whale sharks

I saw them in September last year.

Darlington, Maryland
reviews: 47
14. Re: whale sharks

I would say early September might be a bit risky; supposedly the "season" is from June to September.

I would contact a couple tour companies and get their opinions. Now obviously they want YOUR money, so you might phrase your question like this: "We're thinking of coming to the Riviera Maya in late August or early September - when do you think would be the PEAK time for Whale Sharks?" If you get consistent answers that it really doesn't make any difference, that's one thing. But if you get consistent answers that August is BETTER than September, that suggests that the odds diminish as you get into September.

15. Re: whale sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, August 07, 2014