We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie here...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NOTL, Ontario
reviews: 6
Newbie here...

Hi!! I'm planning a short(Thurs-Sun) solo trip to Isla Holbox in August to see the whale sharks. Originally, I was going to stay in PDC, but as I looked into it and saw that Holbox was the best place to do a tour from, I figured I may as well stay there for the whole trip…I'm not into clubs, touristy areas, etc, so I think it's the perfect fit…I just want to chill out and walk the beach! I've already inquired about transport from the airport with Rodriggo, but was wondering about where to stay…I'd really like to be on the beach since it's such a short trip and this is something I probably won't do again for a long time…I had it narrowed down to La Palapa and Holbox Dreams, but was wondering what others are out there that are on the beach and not too far a walk from town?? Also, since I've always done AIs(Mayan Riviera and Huatulco), what about restaurants? I see some hotels have a continental brekkie included…are there lots of places open early for breakfast type stuff(can I get my churro fix here?? LOL) and places to grab stuff 'on the go' for other meals? I certainly don't mean fast food or anything, just thinking since I'm on my own, that may be the way to go. Are there any other 'tours' available?? I thought someone mentioned flamingoes?? Or can I take a tour to see the more remote parts of the island?? Thanks so much for your help…I'm totally a newbie to this part of Mexico and I'm really excited!!

Atenas, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
1. Re: Newbie here...

For food, read Milikis's Local List. That list also makes good recommendations for local whale shark tours. Those promoted on the internet are most always 'owned' by foreigners and therefore more expensive. Plus the money tends to leave the island rather than being invested back in the island.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 24
2. Re: Newbie here...

I second IHX's recommendation of mikilis' local list. You'll find plenty of places for breakfast, lunch and dinner. She's got some good "on the go" recommendations too. I've printed the list out both times I've been to Holbox and used it to make our meal choices every day. It's a wonderful resource.

Some other hotels close to town are Mawimbi and Casa las Tortugas. I've only stayed at Tortugas, and I loved it. They include a full breakfast in their room rate, by the way. And they have happy hour specials every day (at leasat they did while I was there) - 2 for 1 beers and drink specials, plus free food to munch on. Great value for your money, IMO.

Mawimbi is right next door to Tortugas, and it seems really nice too. Both of their beaches are lovely, plenty of loungers and shady/sunny spots.

If you do a whale shark tour, you will most likely pass by lots of flamingoes. And see if you can get the tour to stop at the mangroves. That place is in my top three most beautiful places I've ever seen.

You can rent a golf cart to explore the island. We did that last year, and it was really fun. You can drive from one end to the other. Most hotels will have maps, and the trip doesn't take that long.

Don't forget to bring your deet! The mosquitoes are relentless. :)

Happy travels!

-Lori

NOTL, Ontario
3. Re: Newbie here...

Thanks so much!! I've printed out the list and I'm taking notes of all your suggestions!

NOTL, Ontario
4. Re: Newbie here...

Can I get sunscreen/bug spray on Holbox? I'd really like to travel with just a carryon and would only be able to bring a small amount of each...I realize I'll pay top dollar, but being able to come with just a carryon would be worth it! Thanks!

Des Moines, IA
reviews: 75
5. Re: Newbie here...

Sunscreen is available at most of the mini supers. I didn't notice it costing that much.

NOTL, Ontario
6. Re: Newbie here...

Thank-you!!

west. pennsylvania
reviews: 10
7. Re: Newbie here...

Recommend that you buy the nearly 100% deet at your local fishing goods store. I have found 2 oz. non aerosol spray pump containers travel well and are well worth having on Holbox. You may not find this on the island.

NOTL, Ontario
8. Re: Newbie here...

Sounds like a good idea and a little goes a long way with that stuff too...I'll look for some at our Bass Pro...thanks!

west. pennsylvania
reviews: 10
9. Re: Newbie here...

I should have added that if you go swimming with the whale sharks or snorkeling, cenote swimming etc don't wear it because it's not good for those environments. Same for sunscreen. Better to wear a shirt.

Have a great trip. And...

Make sure you get a Marquesita from the rollling stand on the square for dessert!! Delicious.My personal fav is Nutella and cheese.

Atenas, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
10. Re: Newbie here...

You can also find easy-to-pack repellant towelettes. Most of the repellants on the island do not contain DEET. If that's what you prefer, that's fine. But if you really prefer to be protected from the little buggers, then you'll need some DEET.

Get answers to your questions about Holbox Island