We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

Which Holbox Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
reviews: 8
Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

I am taking a trip in April and spending 4 nights on Holbox and then heading to Playa del Carmen for 5 nights. I need help in figuring out the logistics of getting to Holbox and from Holbox to Playa del Carmen.

Our flight lands at 12:45 pm and we won't make the last bus out of Cancun. So our choices are to rent a vehicle, take a transfer from our hotel (which was quoted around $60/person one way), or rent a cab.

Does anyone know exact prices for a cab or cheaper transfer?

Would you drive from Chiquila to Playa del Carmen?

We could take the bus back when we return from the island if we get a cab or transfer.

Help please. Thanks in advance for all your help. This forum is full of priceless information.

Atenas, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
1. Re: Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

Your post indicates you have already read the threads on this forum. If that's truly the case you should probably have quite a few of your answers. If not, I suggest you start with the thread titled "Transportation".

If you drive to PDC from Holbox, take the road that goes via Coba to 307 and then north. It's an easy and interesting drive.

Minneapolis
reviews: 8
2. Re: Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

Sooooo... you would take a cab then? Seeing that is cheaper than a private transfer?

Atenas, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
3. Re: Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

The cab price is from downtown. You'll need to catch the bus to downtown Cancun for that. The price you get will depend on your Spanish.

I can't answer your question for you. The cost difference between a private transfer and cab is about 600-800 pesos($56-74USD) for two people. The private transfer will meet you at the airport with your name on a placard. Plus it will be a more comfortable and safer ride. You will have to weigh those differences for yourself and your travel budget.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
reviews: 34
4. Re: Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

One advantage to the rental car is the convienence. You are not dependant on bus schedules, but you you do have to pay for parking in Chiquila (about 30 pesos a day). It is about a 2 hour drive to from Chiquila to PDC. Some people do not like to drive in Mexico and you have to buy gas. We had a group of four in our trip to Holbox, and we were going on to Chichen Itza and Tulum. Car rental made the most sense to us. Our car rental costs worked out to about $250 a week including gas through Dollar Rental Car. We also declined all insurance except for mandatory liability. Except for a flat tire several years ago, we have never had a problem with a rental car or driving in the Yucatan. You also have the advantage of stopping when we see something interesting. Last year we were driving from Coba to Tulum and saw a honey factory. We spent a great hour talking about how they make honey and tasting various types of honey (it varies depending on the flowers the bees are around). This never would have happened if we had been in a bus.

Enjoy

Vermont
5. Re: Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

I would suggest cabs, since you haven´t driven in Mexico before, and because of the parking issues of a rental car. Yes, having a car is more convenient as far as frequent stops, but parking in Playa del Carmen is risky if your hotel doesn´t provide a space. We´ve known people who´ve had their cars broken into in Playa, or car towed from street overnight.

In Chiquila, parking is cheap and safe, although i would never leave valuables in the car or trunk, and leave nothing visible on seats.

The taxi from the Cancun downtown bus station to Chiquila can be negotiated to $60. US, then when you leave Holbox, there will be taxi´s on the dock in Chiquila that will take you to Playa for around $80 US.

The when you leave Playa, there are airport shuttles for $7 USpp.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Taxi vs. Rental Car vs. Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 15, 2009