We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casas

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 12
Casas

Lots a great casas in Vinales, just make sure you book/stay for one night before commiting to a longer stay.

Our first casa was not so good. I felt bad leaving as the folks were not well off. But the location and the flies / cleanliness were a problem for me.

We walked around and found a casa on the main intersection corner and immediately knew we had to change rooms.

This location was perfect for watching Cuba go by. With the room and patio out back under the banana trees, it was quiet, shaded and lots of air!

Vinales can be seen in one day. but we took 5 days. Most of our time was spent as the Cubans, going slowly and...doing nothing!

26 replies to this topic
chelmsford
21. Re: Casas

Really , really scary!!! Maybe true one or two nights of the year!

Have contacted yourowncuba.com in hope they won't leave us on the stree!

chelmsford
22. Re: Casas

as well as contacting yourowncuba I would like to email a few casas, its really difficult to find email addresses although am sure some are hidden in the reviews. If anyone who loved their casa in vinales has an email address they could share I would be delighted.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
23. Re: Casas

There is absolutely no advantage in (attempting to) contacting an individual casa owner. Unless you are personally known to the owner there is no increased guarantee that a booking will be honoured. In fact it can be argued that this is much more likely when going through a reputable agency such as

http://www.yourowncuba.com/

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 15
24. Re: Casas

We showed up at a Casa in Trinidad that we had reserved, only to find out he let it out an hour earlier. No problem.....as he takes us across the street to another Casa.

Edited: 8:53 pm, January 18, 2014
Vancouver Island...
reviews: 15
25. Re: Casas

"Not keen on wandering around, we will have suitcases as not backpacking so ideal to prebook and maybe someone from Casa meet us from the Main street."

Hilary, Vinales is actually very easy to find a Casa. There are only two real streets to speak of. Juse behind the main street, every other house is a Casa. Also, the bus will be greated with a hoard of Casa owners.

No real need to prebook. (they dont all have computers and those that do, they run very slow)

If you go with someone from the bus...one stays back and the other goes and looks. Helps to know how far it is. Or, ask someone who is boarding the bus, about the Casa they just left.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
26. Re: Casas

"We showed up at a Casa in Trinidad that we had reserved, only to find out he let it out an hour earlier. No problem.....as he takes us across the street to another Casa."

Very common - all over Cuba.

Hence my comment way back in #12.

When actually travelling around Cuba - which we do usually for about 50% of our 3 month trips we rarely contact a casa until the night before. They then know we are definitely arriving the next day and we know that at least at the time of our call there is a definite vacancy (we are VERY forceful at ensuring that they are being straight with us) and of course over the years we have built up a network of relationships which further enhances the mutual reliability. I virtually never recommend a specific casa to others anywhere - it really is a waste of time.

I will add that unless you like being overwhelmed by dozens of screaming touts flashing casa cards/fotos at you on arrival at the Viazul terminal then Trinidad and Vinales are the two places I would NEVER arrive at without a casa booking.

Edited: 9:14 pm, January 18, 2014
Reply to: Casas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vinales