We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

Ann Arbor, MI
Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

Hello - my wife and I are staying at Peach & Quiet soon (be there 2nd week of March) and we want to spend a day at one of these beaches. We don't require much, just some waves for body-surfing (we are good swimmers), just chill on the beach all day. The main question is, are there 'not-too-expensive' food/beer vendors at both beaches?

Also, do you suggest we taxi over, rent a car, bus? I suppose all are fine.

Thansk so much

mbr

Henley on Thames
reviews: 18
1. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

They are quite near each other you could use the places near the Crane take a look at this recent post a it cover places close to the Crane including a new one. We use Cutters and have always found it very good.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g616286-i11712-k34…

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
reviews: 1
2. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

There is nothing actually on the beach at Bottom Bay and at the Crane you have the facilities of the Crane itself

footychicks suggestion is the best to get something to take to the beach

...especially if you have a cool-box

Edited: 6:57 am, February 22, 2010
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 79
3. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

You cant actually use the facilities at the Crane Resort unless access via the resort and you may have to pay to park. The Crane has a beach bar but you can only charge to your room. There is someone who rents beds on the beach and I think they will sell a beer or soft drink but no food. I would take a picnic or pick up something at Cutters although it is not cheap. There is nothing at Bottom Bay. 2 great beaches (have a look at Foul Bay also) I think a rental car would be best option.

uk
4. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

There is a local beach guy at Bottom Bay who has cold drinks and sunbeds, and will also get you a fresh coconut from the tree - enjoy : )

South Bucks
reviews: 26
5. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

We've just come back from Barbados and we did both options. One day we went for Sunday lunch at the Crane (highly recommended and fantastic views) and then went down onto Crane beach afterwards. Another day we got a picnic from Cutters and took it down onto the beach at Foul Bay.

My personal preference in terms of beaches is Bottom Bay/Foul Bay ahead of Crane beach (because they are quieter and more picturesque), but Sunday lunch at the Crane is definitely worth doing (and means you can park there without having to pay, use the elevator down to the beach etc).

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 79
6. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

Another option on Sunday at Crane would be Gospel Breakfast.

Ann Arbor, MI
7. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

Thanks for all the info. We will probably head over on a thursday or friday. All of them sound picturesque. Since we love to swim, can you actually swim at Bottom Bay/Foul Bay early March? Also, are there cliffs you can dive off at Crane or the others? Again, we are fairly strong swimmers.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
8. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

Swimming at Bottom bay is possible ..no problem .... I suppose if there was a really strong easterly wind it could be a bit risky

We have been twice on days when the wind was normal /not particularly strong

There were 3- 4' rollers which grew to about 4-6' as they hit the beach ...there is also a very strong undertow on the beach

At Bottom Bay there are cliffs/rocks at either end of the bay but I never investigated them for dividing ... I would suggest this is not a good idea given the strength of the incoming waves

Derbyshire, United...
reviews: 19
9. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

I think it is hard for people to answer your swimming question. I consider myself a good swimmer but I wouldn't swim at either location, to me it wouldn't be swimming it would be getting battered by big waves. You would have to go out a fair way to reach 'calmer water' and then I believe the undertow could be dangerous.

Last time we went to Bottom Bay which by the way is a beautiful beach and is well worth a visit, a guy was going in the surf and he got so thrown around and to me looked as if he only just managed to get out again, it made uncomfortable watching and I actually felt pretty nervous for him.

I suppose it depends if that is your idea of fun or not. Either way I think you'd have fun having a picnic at either location, I guess you can then decide for yourself on the day if you'd be comfortable going in the water.

We went to the Crane over the New Year for the Sunday Brunch with the gospel choir, it is lovely there but again I didn't see people swimming, people seemed to go in to about their waists for a dip. Enjoy your trip, Emma

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
10. Re: Crane Beach/Bottom Bay?

Emma is spot on ...I did go swimming on our last visit ( no sun loungers by the way on that day) ...but it was tough and difficult to stay afloat

I do intend to go again ...with a bodyboard ...BUT I will also make sure I have my floatation jacket ...that I usually use for snorkeling