We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming

Which Nungwi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth uk
Swimming

Having looked at the island of Zanzibar in detail I'm still confused as to which beach area you can swim in the sea at high and low tide. Is there an area where you can snorkel from the beach and see some incredible fish?

Has all the trouble from last year calmed down now?

Thanks L.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 19
1. Re: Swimming

Hi l Nungwi offers the best swimming of course not at neep tide but can really spend the day in the water. Our favourite place is the beach in front of Paradise,if you want snorkeling a trip to mnemba is a nice day outing alternatively on the east coast you can go to the reef near bejuwe( not the correct spelling).

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Swimming

Hi Nungwi offer best all day swimming .our fav spot is the beach in front of paradise. Day trip to mnemba is also great for snorkeling. The reef on east coast up from bejuwe is lovely.Will have to get a local to take you .

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 22
3. Re: Swimming

Hey, I'm a regular to the island and may try to help.

As far as the tides go, they change over every 6 hours. There's a "schedule" available in the local book found in Stonetown (it's free) that tells you when low and high tides are. This is very helpful for us since we like to walk the beaches in Nungwi and East Coast so we get an idea of where the water level will be to know if we can get by the rocky cliffs. It's also a great tool for knowing when to lay on the beach and when you can go swimming.

Nungwi and East Coast beaches are great for swimming. I have heard Kendwa is very good as well, but I have personally not been there, yet.

As far as snorkeling, I have only done Prison island. It's a 20min boat ride from Stonetown. I would recommend.

Anything else, just ask! Cheers.

Edited: 7:22 pm, July 18, 2013
4. Re: Swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 20, 2014