We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Zanzibar

Which Nungwi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 1
How safe is Zanzibar

I would like to know how safe people felt while they were in Zanzibar. I have heard of people who have been robbed at machete point. The foreign affairs offices are recommending that people exercise extreme caution there and that there is a high terrorist threat. Did anyone feel uncomfortable or unsafe, either travelling to and from the airport or venturing off the hotel grounds? Is this a place where you stay on your hotel property for the entire stay?

83 replies to this topic
toronto
1. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

I should also mention that I will be staying in Nungwi at the Z hotel, so I am particularly interested in that area.

Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Dar es Salaam
reviews: 14
2. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

I have always felt safe in Zanzibar but at night time I do take caution, take a taxi to and from your hotel if you wish to go out at night. Just be careful and don't walk down dark, lonely stretches of beach, I have heard of people being mugged when they are walking on lonely isolated stretches especially at night time. About the terrorists, have been living here for some time now and have not heard about any terrorists being on Zanzibar. You will find the Tanzanians lovely friendly people on the whole. The crime rate has definitely gone up over the past few years but I definitely feel more safe here than in my home country.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 5
3. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

It is safe to move about in Zanzibar. At night I would never advise anyone to move about, rather take a taxi no matter how short a distance. Do people get robbed, yes, but they also get robbed in Toronto at times. Use good common sense and trust your gut.

toronto
4. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

Thanks for that.So, I assume walking along the beach during the day is still safe?

I have prearranged transfers through Go2Africa. Have you any experience regarding this company and their ground respresentatives? I am hoping the transfers are reliable.

On a different note, I would like to go snorkelling to a place with well preserved coral. Is there such a place you can recommend and if so, is there a preferred tour company? Or more importantly, is there a company I should stay away from?

Is Stone Town safe to walk around during the day with a guide?

Sorry for so many questions.

Australia
reviews: 18
5. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

Ontario Girl!

No no and no.

It is safe. You CAN venture outside your hotel.

I have actually stayed at the Zhotel in Nungwi (nice choice) and in Stone Town.

As a female in her mid 20s i felt secure. This is of course a personal/personality/travel experience thing. You are still in Africa. So be mindful as you always would of yourself.

In both Zhotel & Stonetown I was walking around at night with others and by myself. I felt FINE. Of course you wouldn't walk down any dark alleys and of course you have to be wise about what you are wearing/carrying. Just as you would any where in the world.

But relax. you will have a great time and enjoy the infinity pool at Z hotel!!

Try and do a spice tour while you are in Zanzibar! It's amazing to see where all those neatly packaged spices in our kitchen cupboards actually come from!

Let me know if you have any questions

Cheers

K

Australia
reviews: 18
6. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

Just saw your new comment with questions.

The beach is 99% safe to walk around in day time. 1% being that any weirdo anywhere in the world could cause you havoc. More conservative people may say 80%. However I would say safety decreases with the amount of money, jewelery, cameras you have hanging around your neck. You would not leave anything valuable sitting on the beach.

But in terms of daylight walking and swimming. I felt totally safe and really loved it! You can really relax. Safety became one of the last things on my mind

DIving - Spanish Dancer have an office set up on the beach. Run by cool young professional guys. I just googled them and found their website. It might be useful to work out where you want them to take you. But as they were with us, I'm sure they will be happy to recommend great spots! www.spanishdancerdivers.com

Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Dar es Salaam
reviews: 14
7. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

If you are wanting excellent snorkeling specifically for coral then the best place is to go to Chumbe Island, now you would have to go there for a day trip as you cannot just go to the island or snorkeling otherwise. Chumbe is an eco island and they have special projects protecting the reefs, it is quite amazing and they have won many awards for this. They have 7 bungalows on the island and when they are not fully booked you can go out for a day trip which is $90, you get to use one of the bungalows and it does include your meals and drinks and boat transfers for the entire day plus snorkeling and you get a guided tour of the island. Another excellent snorkeling alternative is Mnemba island which is very close to Nungwi as it is just off the North East of Zanzibar. You can go with one of the dive centres from Nungwi try: scuba do, zanzibar watersports or east africa divers.

It is perfectly safe to wander around during the day, just have your wits about you. I have had clients that have delt with go2africa and have been very satisfied so I don't think you have any worries there. And lastly yes it is safe to walk around stone town during the day time especially with a guide.

toronto
8. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of your comments and I am so excited for my trip now!

Chicago
reviews: 4
9. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

Ontario Girl,

Please post a trip report when you get back from the Z Hotel. I am going to Zanzibar and will be staying there next March. I am excited fro the trip but I have a lot of the same safety concerns as you and would like to know more about the Z Hotel to see if it's really worth staying there or whether I should consider another hotel. Thanks for your post.

toronto
10. Re: How safe is Zanzibar

I will definitely do that.

Reply to: How safe is Zanzibar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted