We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to DOC motorhome camp on way to wanaka?

Which Wanaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 9
best place to DOC motorhome camp on way to wanaka?

hi, later this year in Dec im taking the family to NZ, doing the motorhome thing. we have 90% of our itinerary worked out, but im looking for some advice on a certain part.

When we leave Fox Glacier, and start cruising towards Wanaka, we are looking at staying at a DOC campsite for the night. on a map i looked at it listed these DOC campsites;

DOC Pleasant campsite,

DOC cameron flat campsite,

DOC boundary creek campsite,

and the DOC kidds bush reserve campsite.

which of these would be the pick of the bunch?

we will have a couple of young boys with us that will enjoy stretching their legs after that leg of the journey, and i love photography. are there any particularly interesting points about any one of these campsites?

or maybe theres a good that i havent listed here?

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 50
1. Re: best place to DOC motorhome camp on way to wanaka?

I haven't stayed at any of them but have probably stopped at all of them.

Kidds Bush is Lake Hawea, Boundary Creek is Lake Wanaka. I have stopped at BC a number of times, good clean loos which is always an advantage, however it is often quite busy.

Entirely your choice :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
reviews: 12
2. Re: best place to DOC motorhome camp on way to wanaka?

I would not stop at Pleasant Flat as it would have the most sandflies of the options. Cameron Creek is near the Blue Pools track but doesn't have much going for it and isn't beside a lake or river. Boundary Creek is right beside the lake but close still to the Main Rd though the bush that's been planted is nice. Kidds Bush would be my pick with kids. It is beside Lake Hawea, there is an easy, short (20-30min) loop bush walk beside it and it is away from the main road - about a 10 minute drive - so would have a nicer feel to it. We used to go and camp at Kidds Bush for a night when our kids were small and we wanted a night camping but close to home. There is a big grass area also for children to run around safely and there are outdoor fireplaces so you can light a fire (unless there is a current fire ban). If by December you mean near or after Christmas, then Kidds Bush would probably be the busiest for the reasons mentioned above. On the day it might also depend on the wind direction. If there is a howling norwester, then Boundary Creek would be quite exposed (though the sandflies would be blown away). Kidds Bush is exposed to a Southerly but more sheltered from the norwester. Enjoy your trip.

3. Re: best place to DOC motorhome camp on way to wanaka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 01, 2014