We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanaka and queenstown

Which Wanaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Wanaka and queenstown

Hi All,

My partner and I are wanting to spend 2-3 weeks spread across Wanaka and Queenstown from mid Aurgust 2013, I am an intermediate snowboarder and my Girlfeiend is a beginner, any suggestions on where to stay and where is best for my GF to learn would be great!

Thanks!!

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
reviews: 50
1. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

Snowpark Wanaka offers an excellent snowboard school.

Where to stay? Perhaps a few nights on the mountain at Snowpark followed by a week in Wanaka and a week in Queenstown.

Hard to know a place a recommend without knowing budget and style - there are hundreds of options - check www.wotif.com and do book early as the popular places go fast - especially snowpark as there is lvery imited accommodation on the slopes.

Best of luck :)

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

Thanks!!

Oz
reviews: 32
3. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

Hi,

Like Wl states there are far too many options vis a vis accommodation to offer any advice without more info.

Seeing as how you are snow boarders and I ski and this year I'm going to Wanaka instead of Queenstown I would suggest you stay in Queenstown and board at Coronet Peak ;-)

Cheers,

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
4. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

LOL

Oz, don't scare away Wanaka's visitors. There is plenty of room for everyone.

Be nice and share :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
reviews: 12
5. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

For a beginner, I would go for Cardona rather than Snowpark. SP is very small. Cardona has getting people on to the slopes down to a fine art - and no I don't work for them, just spent several winters skiing there when my kids were small and learning to ski. I know this means not staying on the mountain but I think for variety over the course of a week the bigger field would be better.

Nelson, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
6. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

Cardrona also has accommodation up the mountain - though it is possibly already booked for the coming season.

Queenstown
7. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

I would agree spend 1/2 your time in each resort they both have very different vibes to them and each has it's own plus and minuses.

I would be more concerned about WHEN you are coming as early July in the school hols is very busy so if your GF wants to learn - choose somewhere with quieter and smaller groups like Cardrona.

Coronet maybe better when she has some confidence and can join you.

As for snow - it is sometimes better later in the season so September and actually right up to closing day is normally great and of course not as crowded and a much nicer experience

Accommodation will really depend on if you want to drive, cook for yourself, go cheap or need facilities, way too many to list here.

Check out the websites for both Wanaka and Queenstown and check the events too, as you may want to go to them or avoid them.

http://www.lakewanaka.co.nz/

http://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/

8. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 pm, October 13, 2013
9. Re: Wanaka and queenstown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014