We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

Sydney, Australia
3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

Is there enough to do for a 3 year old at the Shangri La for 4 -5 nights?? Want to go to a place that doesn't take forever to get there (she's a bad traveller).??

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 17
1. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

There is heaps to do for a 3 year old at the Shangri la.

They have a fantastic kids club that does a heap of different activites with the kids like crab races, sandcastle building and fish feeding. There is also a wonderful playground that you can take your child to at any time. Your child has to be 4 to attend by themselves, but younger kids can go with a parent or a babysitter. Babysitters are approximately F$25 for a minimum of 3 hours and F$7 per hour thereafter.

The Shangri La is about 45mins from Nadi. If you are looking for somewhere closer I would suggest you have a look at some of the resort on Denarau like the Raddisson, as it is only about 15mins from Nadi. The beaches are not as nice, but you can always do a day trip out to the islands as the marina is located at Denarau.

Nola :)

Auckland
reviews: 20
2. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

Def loads to do there for that age - I always take bucket spade etc a few plastic animals and they normally play happily on the "beach" while we sit on the loungers right next to them - the pool is right there as well.

The kids club is great and def worth getting a babysitter to take them to a couple of sessions on their own. Also big enough of a resort to go for a wander etc and I believe since we've been there last the mini golf has opened. My kids loved fish feeding off the wharf and even if not at kids club take note of what they are doing and go feed them with the kids club etc.

We also got a babysitter every night so that we could go out and enjoy a peaceful dinner without kids.

Be warned the drive down to Shangri-La is not that pleasant - driving is not great and you are normally hot and bothered and with kids it seems to take a long time!!!!!

Melbourne
reviews: 5
3. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

Hi there,

I'd also suggest getting a ground floor lagoon room - close to the pool, close to the children's playground and nice to sit outside your room in the evening once your little one goes to sleep.

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

Thank you all for your great advice - booked and paid for - will post review when we get back. S

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 4
5. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

Hi Isobel,

You will have an amazing holiday with your 3 year old. My husband and I have just booked our third trip in 3 years to the Shangri-la with our two busy, energetic children.

The first time on 2007, our daughter was 7 months old and our son turned four while we stayed there.

The second time in 2009, our children were 2 1/2 and 6 years old.

This time they are 3 1/2 and 7 years old. Both stays were exceptional in meeting our expectations and we know exactly what this trip will be like for us in 6 weeks.

I'm sure you have done some research and have already thought of these things.....but I love to pass on some tips when travelling with young children, especially to really hot destinations.

Buy cold bottled water at the airport before the 45 minute drive to the resort. You can buy bulk as they don't provide complimentary drinking water and you'll drink lots of it.

Unless you take your own carseat, be open minded about the condition of the carseats (if they provide one at all) in a private car. There is none in the mini buses.

I take a small suitcase of food supplies such as longlife milks, juices, pureed fruits, cheese and buscuits, sultanas, small cans of spagetti, tuna etc as I find often they get too tired from swimming, playing, kid's club to eat dinner at the buffet. Every second night we just order a pasta dish for the kids to share from room service, so we can dine wherever we want even off the resort. This year we are taking a cooler bag with great cheeses too as we haven't found any in the past in Sigatoka.

The kid's club and babysitters are the the highlight of our stays.........cannot recommend more highly the wonderful, attentive care that our children have received by our babysitter. We wish we could put her in our suitcase and bring her home with us.

We have found ear infections and stomach upsets from being in the pool are common during our stays, so take some meds with you such as aquaear, nurofen, panadol, gastrolite etc.

Have fun.....Sharon

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

we took our 2 year old and had a ball. There is a great shop that sells pool toys etc. I took a blow up beach ball, some other toys, books etc. There was more than enought o do for al agee. We also took out Ipad and set it up with Dora to keep her amused while we had lunch, dinner....definately a winner

7. Re: 3 year old for a week at the Shangri La

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, May 31, 2011