We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denarau Island - worth staying at?

Which Denarau Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 25
Denarau Island - worth staying at?

I'm considering staying at Denarau Island for 2-3 days before heading out to an offshore island (maybe somewhere in the mamanuca islands) for another 3 days. From pics and descriptions I get the feeling the resorts at Denarau are a little bit "manufactured" and Western if that makes sense? Like something you might get here in Australia. I would like to experience more of a local flavour like I'm hoping you get out a bit further.

Is this a fair assessment or am I off the mark? What 2 locations would be good to stay at, bearing in mind we will only spend about 6-7 days in Fiji all up. Nthn Fiji might be a little pricey although it sounds fantastic.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
reviews: 24
1. Re: Denarau Island - worth staying at?

You are right about Denarau hotels - head for the islands! Denarau is not really what you would expect as an island - just cut off from the "mainland" by a waterway with a bridge over it - and the beaches are not good with fairly murky water. Depending on your flight times you may have to spend your first and last night in Nadi anyway, so staying at one only island resort will avoid beach time lost in packing up and transferring to another resort. You have the choice of Mamanucas or Yasawa Islands from Nadi. If you decided on 2 resorts stick to one island group or the other as they are on different boat routes and you would probably have to return to Nadi overnight between.

reviews: 25
2. Re: Denarau Island - worth staying at?

Thank you TaiMarilyn! That makes sense - I didn't realise we would have to come back to Nadi between locations, I thought we could spend some time in the Mamanuca islands and then on to the Yasawi islands.

I see you are a destination expert for Yasawa Islands - can you recommend a resort for a family - but not necessarily aimed at families? We won't be using a kids club, or need a kids meal plan or anything. I would like to maybe avoid the main resorts for families as we'd like somewhere a little quieter but a few I've looked at were adults only. Our youngest is 10.

Also, we will probably be spending about 7 nights in total in Fiji. We would like a nice snorkelling area that we can explore on our own.

Thanks heaps

Kim

Sydney
reviews: 14
3. Re: Denarau Island - worth staying at?

Hi, Denarau is ok for a short stay- 2-3 days would be enough. Read the reviews of Octopus resort in the Yasawas- it's reasonably priced,location is great and snorkelling is very good.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
reviews: 9
4. Re: Denarau Island - worth staying at?

Have a look at the website for Navini. The resort offers 24/7 transportation to the island so no need to overnight on the main island. If you stay 7 nights transportation to and from the resort is included in the price. Another plus, all daily, scheduled, snorkeling and island tours are in the prices. Prices are in FD and per bure, not per person.

The following link has pictures of our vacation to Navini. They will give you a good idea of the bures, resort grounds, beach, etc.

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-042f-1fde-de34

Hope this helps.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
reviews: 24
5. Re: Denarau Island - worth staying at?

I've been going to Octopus for many years and now family and grandchildren come with us. Good snorkelling, other boat trips offered ("Island Safari" with a possiblility of snorkelling with manta rays is a great day trip from there), and village visits. Their bures are built local style with thatched walls and ceiling - but with added refinements! - would be really novel for your kids, I love staying in them.

The last couple of years we have also stayed at Blue Lagoon Beach Resort - it's further north in the Yasawas so a longer boat ride, but a wonderful beach and very good snorkelling. You can do the cave trip from there. These two are sister resorts so run on similar lines, BLBR is smaller and newer. Snorkelling is straight off the beach at both, swimming all tides at BLBR. At mid to low tide at Octopus its only possible to swim out through the boat channel area (not difficult) but they also have a pool.

Food is great at both, with very friendly staff. Check out their reviews on this site and their websites - Octopus rates quoted in US$ and BLBR in NZ$ so you will have to do some conversions. If you'd like more info or see my photos, send me a PM with an email address.

6. Re: Denarau Island - worth staying at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Denarau Island