We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

Which Fajardo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
plymouth...
Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

Hi

Do you know "if" or "how" to bring some frozen meals on the Plane (US AIR). We are staying @ Las Casitas in a new 2 bedroom suite w/ kitchen. We are not renting a car, so we thought we'd bring like 3 meals.

Any suggestions, do you use a cooler & tape it??

I have heard of people doing this in Aruba, but I wasn't sure on Puerto Rico.

Thanks so much!

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
1. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

I don't think your destination would matter-I think getting through security where you are coming from would be the issue. If they are worried about what you could do with more than 3oz of liquid, I don't see them letting you take on a frozen lasagna!

I would pack a cooler well-maybe a cheapy one you don't care about, strap it with lots of duct tape and check it.

My uncle used to live in Alaska and would come home with coolers full of seafood. He would do this-just pack up a cheap styrofoam cooler, duct tape the heck out of it, and check it. Everything always made it just fine. You could always leave the cooler behind, or use it to pack your dirty laundry in and strap it back up for the return trip.

What is the worst that could happen? They lose the food, which would mess up your plans to eat meals in, but wouldn't be the end of the world.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
2. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

You can check all the shampoo etc you want. Carry on is the 3oz restriction. Frozend meals will keep fro about 8 hours if insulated. You know PR has lots of grocery stores. Everything you can get in Mass, you can get there. Swanson, Banquet, Hungry Man, Stoffers, etc. For the cost of the suttle, think about renting a car. You won't regret it.

plymouth...
3. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

Thanks again everyone!!!

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
4. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

I agree with the previous poster. There are a lot of really nice grocery stores along the main drag near Fajardo. You probably will find the prices comparable to home. If I remember correctly, there is a Pueblo which is just like any large grocery store in the states (i.e., as Safeway-not sure what you have in Mass.)in a shopping center across the Autopista from Avenue El Conquistador, which is the road you take back to the resort.

We went there the day we left to buy coffee. I always bring cans of Alto Grande and Yauco Selecto home to friends as gifts.

Of course, not sure how you can do this without a car...taxi? (Still think you would be happier with a car!)

San Juan
reviews: 11
5. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

There are plenty of big grocery stores close to Conquistador, though not at walking istance. Pueblo, Grande, Amigo...

My family in spain loves pasteles, breadfruit tostones and alcapurrias. Every time I travel there (8 hrs. + 1 1/2 to Palma de Mallorca) I HAVE to bring some. I have never had problems with tawing. This is what I do:

1. Freeze brick hard the food (at least 3 days in the freezer;

2. wrap the frozen food in freezer foil paper;

3. now wrap the "foiled food" in newspapers (2-3 sheets)

4. wrap again in freezer foil;

5. put them in a cooler - I use the insulated foldable ones)

6. fill any empty space with more newspaper.

(You'll have at the end an insulated brick!)

7. as soon as you get to your destination, put in the freezer.

I have been doing this for years, and food always gets there perfect.

upper marlboro, md
reviews: 14
6. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

you definitely can't bring it on the plane. You have to pack it in your luggage.

If you are staying in Las Casitas, you can also have your butler do some grocery shopping for you. You make a list for him and of course you tip him.

Or you could get a cab and go into town for groceries (Amigo Grocery store, not far), and stock up on necessities. If you do this, you have to buy the Pan de Sol (at least 3 loafs) and have this for breakfast with ham and eggs. If the bread is leftover, you heat it up the next day in the oven.

We stayed at Las Casitas and ate all our meals at the house, except for the last night when we splurged and ate at the Japanese restaurant. Mucho expensive.

San Juan
reviews: 11
7. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

Sure, you have to ship it with your luggage, it will not be allowed as hand baggage...

Pan de sol... very good!

plymouth...
8. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

Hi

Would you know how much would it cost to take a taxi to the nearest grocery store & about how long is the ride??

Thanks again you all have been so helpful!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
reviews: 22
9. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

It is a couple miles back into town. The El Con is on a point. I am going to guess at $10-20 for a cab. There is an Avis car rental desk at the resort. Rent a car for the day. The Casita's might provide a shuttle of somekind. Also you have a butler, give them a list and let them do it. That's their job. You relax.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
reviews: 14
10. Re: Bringing Frozen Meals on Airplane

There is no problem bringing FOOD onto a plane (frozen or otherwise). It can go in your carry-on.

Now, how you are going to keep it frozen.....-follow SMS suggestion on wrapping it. I don't know how the TSA will feel about the semi-frozen gel blue "freezy-things" that one usually uses to keep stuff frozen.

tsa.gov/travelers/…editorial_1667.shtm