We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pebbles, nanny tipping

Which Falmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 5
pebbles, nanny tipping

looking for some info, so can plan how much cash to take, if you don't mind me asking, I was wondering how much people tip have their nanny and did you do it daily or wait until the end of the trip?

Thanks for helping?

also any other helpful tips appreciated

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 12
1. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

Hi there,

Last year we kind of over paid our nanny every evening we used her. Then on the last day we gave her 50 JA's, she seemed happy with that.

We also brought along all of our excess Halloween candy last year and gave that to our nanny. She was in heaven! lol She'd never had liqourice before! It's funny tho, the kind, generous spirit you associate with Jamaican's completes goes out the window when you give them a bag of candy!!! She became a hoarding maniac! All in good fun- she did share it with some of the other nannies.

We plan to tip along the same lines this time we go.

We'll be there on Sunday! When are you going?

Lene

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

Lene

We are getting there on Thur 3/22, so maybe we will run into you towards the end of your stay. We have 2 boys ages 3 & 7. So looking forward to this nanny thing s/b a relaxing vacation for us.

CAN
reviews: 25
3. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

50 jamaican dollars equals about 80 cents usd. Not criticsizing at all just letting you know.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 12
4. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

LOL! You are totally right With Respect! I wasn't thinking when I wrote that post. We tipped about $50 USD, but in JA's, so about $4000 JA's not 50! Understand?? ROFL - aren't I the last of the big spenders??

It's hard when you have to try to mentally convert CDN to USD to JA! YIkes!

take care, lene

CAN
5. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

Lene....god bless you for being so generous to those who truly need and deserve it.

Yep BIG difference between 80 cents and 50 dollars. 50 dollars is more than she would have made in 60 hours of working (about a week's salary). Thanks, blessings, and respect to you! C

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

We were there last year (with Lene) .. We tipped our nanny everyday she babysat (which was just about every day).. we would round up so we ended up giving her an extra $10 US a night .. then at the end of the week we gave her $100.US .. I knew before hand (from reading on this form) how little they make so we were generous. But realistically we spend more for a sitter here .. ($10 an hour plus dinner) I don't think they expect that much but she really tried to get our son involved and she did little things (like made him keepsakes of shells as an example) which we didn't expect.

We also found out when we were there that the nannie are on call ..that some weeks if there are not enough guests they do not work.. so when they have a week of work they really appriciate the extra babysitting money. As they have been around all day they know your kids ..and who doesn't want an adult meal...so we had her sit every night. Have a great time ... we did. (Oh I don't think most people tip as much as us ...nor is it expected...and I think you tip more if service is above the norm)

CAN
7. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

bless you Oonda.....you have made a significant difference in the nannies quality of life. Respect!!

CAN
8. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

oops Oona..sorry

Newport Beach
reviews: 21
9. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

Oona1,

Since you been to Pebble already, I will be there in May. I hope this doesn't sound like a dump questions, but when the Nanny babysit your kids at night, what kind of activities does he or she do with the kids? I am looking forward to a nice dinner with my husband. We have never left our kids with anyone else before other than with relative. So...I a bit nervous with the nanny service, but so far I heard wonderful review from everyone about the nanny.

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: pebbles, nanny tipping

hi there,

Not a dumb question at all.... We had been to numerous other resorts with our son but when we were at Pebbles was the first time we used a sitter on a holiday. (our son was 4 1/2 at the time) so I was a little unsure how it would go.....and it went great!

First of all the nanny is with you and your family all day, so your kids will know her (and so will you). Second Pebbles is a small property, so you are never very far away.

They have a kids buffet set up, so first our nanny would take our son to dinner. The kids buffet has kid food... hot dogs, mac and cheese, and they often run Disney movies. THis way we could relax before our dinner.

Then she would often take our son to the kids club ... they have movies, books arts and crafts. There is also a kids disco but our son never really liked that.

We also brought a portable DVD player and movies so he could watch movies either at the kids club our "at home" in our room.

She would get him ready for bed and watch a movie and once or twice he was actually asleep when we got back to the room..(miracles do happen)

Our son made friends at the resort so often they would all watch a movie together at the kids club. They also have video games there ... so we asked our nanny to limit the amount of time he spent on those.

As I said, the resort is small so you can always pop in to see how things are going, but he was great and playing with friends so we mostly didn't check up.

We enjoyed having an adult meal that wasn't over in 15 min that we have continued to get sitters at other resorts. We were at Starfish in Jan and the sitters here are the staff from their kids club. (which also worked out fine)

Have a great time .... and thank you withrespect ... most North American tip for everything without even thinking about it (I find myself giving the Starbucks guys 50 cents after I've just paid $5 for a latte) ... why do they get so cheap on vaction? NO I"M NOT SAYING EVERYONE IS CHEAP..... LOL