We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell

Escondido...
Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell

My wife and I will be visiting Skaftafell National Park in very early October. Can anyone recommend the most scenic hiking trails (2-8 km length) in this area ?

4 replies to this topic
Hafnarfjordur...
reviews: 46
1. Re: Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell

Hiking to Svartifoss waterfall takes only 20 minutes (one way), from the closest parking lot. You can extend it if you reach it from a little bit further down.

Here's one of my shots of Svartifoss:

fluidr.com/photos/…svartifoss

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 22
2. Re: Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell

You have to have a ,,special permit" from the rangers to drive up to the closest parking lot to Svartifoss. You should know that Diana. All hikes start at the visitor center.

Here is a link to hiking trails, in Skaftafell: vatnajokulsthjodgardur.is/english/…

Escondido...
3. Re: Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell

An outstanding shot of Svartifoss, Diana. This is a definite on our list of must dos. The website you have provided icelandicguide will be a great resource for my hiking/photography pursuits on this segment of our adventure. Thanks.

Hafnarfjordur...
reviews: 46
4. Re: Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell

Ok. I was actually directed to drive there when I took that shot two years ago. I was unaware that I was getting a 'special permit'. Thanks!

Reply to: Most scenic short to moderate hiking trails at Skaftafell
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vatnajokull National...
More Vatnajokull National Park Topics