We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Hatton

Which Hatton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colombo
reviews: 255
Train to Hatton

Plan on taking the 5.55am or 8.15am train from Colombo Fort Railway station to Hatton in June. Would like to know the classes available for travel and seating options. E.g. is there an observation carriage, does it have air conditioning, is there a 1st and 2nd class? If so, are their individual seats or are there benches? How early should I buy tickets and can I do so over a mobile phone?

11 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
1. Re: Train to Hatton

Pretty much all the information can be found on this very recent tripadvisor thread

http://tinyurl.com/a8zrq7v

It also includes all the external links for vendors, trains etc

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
2. Re: Train to Hatton

Yes and this one

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c195051/Sri-L…

is also meant to be comprehensive. Only small omission on Seat61 is that they don't mention the ticket sales in Kandy, Badulla, A'Pura and Vavuniya - will get corrected someday.

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
3. Re: Train to Hatton

Im still a bit confused....I looked though most of the links suggested.

Understand there is an Observation Carriage with a/c, then another carriage with a/c but no observation window at the back, 1st class (reservable seats) with no a/c and 2nd class (partly reservable seats) with no a/c.

My concern is, I do not want to travel backwards, if the Observation Carriage does that, so I would prefer the other carriage with a/c with reservable seats. But, then my concern is whether I can open the windows to take photos on and off. I would like the a/c comfort throughout the journey.

If the wondows cannot be opened in this a/c carriage, I will have to compromise and buy 1st class tickets.

Please help!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4. Re: Train to Hatton

There was an incident once when some tourists in the AC compartment wanted to keep the windows open to take photographs. Some of the locals in the compartment were not happy about it. There was an exchange of words (primarily on how most people in the compartment paid the price for the comfort of AC and didn't want that factor being disrupted) and overall it was quite an awkward atmosphere in there.

I'm not sure if this sort of incident is a common occurrence, it happened during a full capacity train during the new year holiday.

There must be seasoned train travelers on the forum who can advise you on the comfort levels of the Non A/C compartments etc

Also, there is apparently a yet another new "luxury train" from Colombo to Kandy that has only 3 stops. Maybe someone can provide you an update on the seating arrangements on that.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
5. Re: Train to Hatton

Hi there,

No guarantee about the direction of the observation carriage indeed. In our experience at the back of the eastbound train 'mostly' but not always. At the front however is rather useless as all you can 'observe' then from the front is the locomotive!

Rajadhani and Exporail can't open the windows, that would kill the AC. But there's always the balcony, and the latest Exporail carriages (see pics on their side) even have an open-air platform as part of the carriage.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
6. Re: Train to Hatton

Observation carriage usually goes backwards.

My question if whether in 1st class with a/c, the windows could be opened for a while to take photos. Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
7. Re: Train to Hatton

If you mean the 1st class observation carriage (it has no AC): yes can be opened.

If you mean AFC (Airconditioned First Class) in the blue Chinese trains, which do the other two services of the day: no. It would kill of the whole concept of AC, as mentioned above too...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: Train to Hatton

Are the new blue trains Chinese or Japanese?

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
9. Re: Train to Hatton

Chinese, in my first weeks after my trip in March I reported Japanese but I got corrected by the info on the SLR website. Hard for us Westerners to distinguish between all these nice character scribes ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik>

Helsinki, Finland
10. Re: Train to Hatton

Rajadhani Express is the ideal for a train trip in Sri Lanka

Tom

Reply to: Train to Hatton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted