We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laoag advice given

Which Laoag hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 38
Laoag advice given

If you are planning to visit Laoag City and seeking suggestions, places to visit, hotels, restaurants, night life etc.... Please ask away as ill be delighted to assist you = Free with no meaning (British)

19 replies to this topic
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
reviews: 83
11. Re: Laoag advice given

Michael,

Altho I agree with you that people in that area are very very friendly, I have to disagree with you about Filipinos trying to rip you off because you are a fireigner or a balikbayan. I am not saying it doesnt happen but of course it does and it happens ALL OVER THE WORLD. no exception.

I am a local and I meet more travellers than most people since I am connected closely with tourism and so on. And let me tell you that I have been regularly stiffed by travellers all the time. There was even two who after showing them Filipino hospitality thought that my friend and I would kidnap them! The stories I can tell but anyways, point is, there are good and bad eggs. That is the way the world rolls. So please..easy on the judging.

London
12. Re: Laoag advice given

Dear soul2soul

I agree with you, there is good and bad in all races, but as foreigners we are constantly being ripped off within the Philippines, you only need to google the situation. I must say though in ilocos Norte region, I experience less of this crab mentality that sone Filipinos are known for!

Only last Friday when at a bar, at the end if the night we found the waiter had been signing for 2 drinks (php100) extra on top if bill, no locals had this issue and it was only the white man. It sad cause I would of given even more as a tip if this theft had not occurred, but they got nothing and the overcharging was taken off.

I wanted a bag repaired and was quoted php450 and two days later my Filipino partner went to the same shop with same bag and paid Php125 for the same repair.

To date I have been here 7 months and not one so called Filipino friend has bought a beer but very happy to be given constant beers all night.

Please there is no need to be offended as I'm only reporting facts and I would suggest the majority of foreigners here would have similar stores to tell all be it some may of been hi jacked or murdered for cash by now?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 839
13. Re: Laoag advice given

Michael its not about El Nido.

Its about your multiple identities to try to tarnish the reputation of a business. One bad review against a business is ok .Thats what TAis about. Well all have differingexperiences.....But using (3) multiple identities to legitimise your reviews is going to far just to get your point across.

Also your attempt at self promotion was also far too obvious.

Others can make up their mind but I will question the authenticity(or vendetta) of your comments.

Tommo

Manila, Philippines
reviews: 8
14. Re: Laoag advice given

I will visit Ilocos this July, good luck because it's rainy season but anyway, my question is, are the tourist attractions like the sinking bell tower, museum, malacañang of the north, paoay lake, paoay church far from each other? Or can go by tricycle? The rent a car service is overprice that's why i plan to do it myself.

Second, how far from Laoag to Vigan? Is there a shorter way if going from Vigan to Pagudpod?

Third, where is Rafael's and Cock House and Bistro 365 located? :)

London
15. Re: Laoag advice given

Hello Rizarocks

In answer to your questions:

-Rainy season no big drama here as normally rains early evening for a couple of hours then clears up, should not interfere with day tripping

-Laoag and Batac tourist stuff can be done using a tricycle and you can negotiate a daily rate. I would suggest no more than Php500 for the day, Paoay Lake is on the way from Laoag to Batac, there are many tourist things in them areas, simply google the towns.

-Pagudpud and Vigan are in different locations so cannot be joined, Laoag to Vigan is about 3 hours and Laoag to Pagudpud is about 90 minutes. If on a budget then you can take the coach / bus from Loaog as many to choose from.

-Every tricycle driver knows Rafael's, Cockhouse, Bistro n Nightlife so you won't need the addresses but can google for more info.

I hope this is a help, see you in Cockhouse for a drink one night?

Enjoy

-

16. Re: Laoag advice given

Try their bagnet pizza

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
reviews: 83
17. Re: Laoag advice given

It is all about bagnet pizza, right? 😛

18. Re: Laoag advice given

No, there r many choices. If u font wsnt pizza, u can opt for Rufino"s Cafe nearby, w/c serves auyhentic ilocano dishes at affordable prices. There also the new Paseo de Paoay w/c has two restos SPAM and Cefi

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 839
19. Re: Laoag advice given

I loved Saramsam Ylocano Restaurant and Bar. The food was fantastic.

Tommo

Reply to: Laoag advice given
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted