We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangon - Golden Rock

Which Kyaikto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chelmsford, United...
reviews: 2
Yangon - Golden Rock

Hi Fellow Travellers :)

Can someone please tell know how they got from Yangon to Gold Rock, has anyone gone by train as this is what I would like to do so that on the way back (following day) we can stop off a Bago to see the sights. From what I have read the trains aren't very often so I just wanted to hear from someone who has actually done this?

Thanks muchly :)

26 replies to this topic
Yangon
1. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

Not really good and no direct train trip to Golden Rock. You have to get off the Kyaikhto town and catch the local bus to the Canmon based. It's look a little bit complicate. There are many buses leaving to Rock from Yangon every day and directly to the based.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 75
2. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

You can go by bus as stated above but you will be rushed. I hired a driver to take me there & back on both my visits (2010 and in December 2012) . You can easily stop wherever you want, spending time in Bago en route etc.

You will not be in any hurry to hike up to the rock, snap a few photos and hike down like people are when they take the bus from Yangon & back.

WAshington, DC
reviews: 5
3. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

So if i hire a driver/car in Yangoon.... Is the Golden Rock and Bago possible for a long day trip from Yangoon. We have about 11 days total... Would you include the Golden Rock?.. I'm thinking about skpping Mandalay area all together to have more time around Bagan, the lake and Yangoon... Crazy???

WAshington, DC
4. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

So if i hire a driver/car in Yangoon.... Is the Golden Rock and Bago possible for a long day trip from Yangoon. We have about 11 days total... Would you include the Golden Rock?.. I'm thinking about skpping Mandalay area all together to have more time around Bagan, the lake and Yangoon... Crazy???

Edited: 8:02 pm, January 26, 2013
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
5. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

No, not crazy. Totally doable!

Get up at the crack of dawn and depart Yangon. You can spend a couple of hours seeing the sights of Bago, then head to Kyaiktio (Golden Rock). You have to take a truck to the top (15 minutes or so) and then hike 30 minutes to the summit, where Golden Rock is. Spend a few hours exploring Golden Rock, and catch the last truck down to the Kinpun Base camp. I think it is 3:30, but you'd better confirm this with your driver. Then head back to Yangon. If you can afford a night up on Golden rock, you can stay for the spectacular sunset and have more time to leisurely explore Bago en route and on the way back as well. Read my report for that below (I stayed the night there in 2010, and stayed 2 nights there just last month!), it inlcudes photos in the link at the end of Golden Rock and the places I visited in Bago.

tripadvisor.com/…31013201

Troon, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

Hi

I saw some recent posts said there was work being done at the Golden Rock. Can anyone confirm if this is finished? Would obviously prefer not to see it with scaffolding up! Cheers!

WAshington, DC
7. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

hit the search button and you'll find lots of info... but the work is "supposed" to be completed by mid-Feb. Of course there will be delays. I'm going late March so thinking even with delays, it'll be clear.

@ Maneki-neko Kurashiki...t

You rock! thanks for the great info. Now I'll ask you what I asked on another post. I only have about 12 days total... if you had to choose between the outer Mandalay sites... or Golden Rock / Bago, what would you do??? I just don't want to feel like I'm rushing my way through a tourist itinerary instead of exploring an amazing country.

Also happen to know any great cycling guides?? Just some cool kid/guide who we could rent a bike for at Bagan, Inle and learn a bit more from a local point of view??? No tours!!

thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
8. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

I htink if you do the Bgao-Golden Rock trip you will be rushign aroudn a bit. You have to get that last pick-up truck down the mountian or else you 'll be stuck there. I htink if I were you and didn't have enough time ot see the place at a leisurely pace, I'd opt for Mandalay & surrounds. I had a lovely time there as well, some magnificent scenery ONCE you get out of that hectic city.

I have spent 5 days on a bicycle in Bagan (in 2 visits there) and one hardly needs a guide. The roads are paved and have slight inclines but it is very easy to get around and not get lost. The guesthouses/hotels sell "The Map of Bagan" which clearly marks all the roads (and some of the sand trails that lead to the temples "off the beaten path") and the noteable temples.

I recommend bringing a headlamp as if you happen to be far from your guesthouse and/or want to see the sunset somewhere, it wil be very dark on your ride home.

Geelong
reviews: 10
9. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

I have spent the last 2 days on a visit to the Golden rock. I travelled with a private driver. Sorry i cannot give the price as it was part of a 15 day package. The drive to base station from Yangon is about 6 hours. At the bus station you board a truck which does not leave until not another person can fit in. Ensure you have minimal luggage. From the drop off point it is about an hour to an hour and a half steep walk in the heat to the rock.

I felt I needed a guide as once at the top there is a massive complex and crowds. I could not find the rock nor anyone that spoke English for quite a while. I felt I would not consider this trip again without an English speaking guide as there is so much up there and it is hard to know were to go.

I stayed at the Gold Rock Hotel, apparently the only foreigner on the mountain

Geelong
reviews: 10
10. Re: Yangon - Golden Rock

I was at Golden Rock yesterday and really could not see it. It was totally covered. I certainly did not feel it was worth the trip without an English speaking guide to explain the whole area. I struggled to find anyone who spoke English

Edited: 7:03 pm, January 27, 2013
Reply to: Yangon - Golden Rock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted