We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

Which Bel Ombre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

Hi, we are thinking about booking Heritage Awali for next April. We really love snorkelling and wanted to know what the snorkelling is like off the Hotel beach? Can anyone advise how deep it gets from the beach and what is the state of the reef?

Any anwsers gratefully received.

Scotland
reviews: 54
1. Re: Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

Hi, heading to Heritage Awali next month and wondering if you can snorkel off the beach at the hotel?

Plymouth, United...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

Hope this isn't too late to catch you before you go!

I've snorkelled the reef there from the Tamassa - next door to Awali.

As with all snorkelling within the reef round Mautius you need to wear wet shoes or boots all the time because of sea urchins and other nasties - there is a review somewhere of a guest at one of the hotels on this stretch who had the misfortune to tread on a stonefish which spoilt their holiday. Also the lagoon is pretty shallow. If you try to snorkel at low tide (there is only a small tidal reach cos it's in the tropics) you can find yourself trying to snorkel over coral without sufficient clearance and scratch yourself.

There is a current running all the time from east to west. It can be exhausting to swim against after a while. And you don't want to stray too far towards the reef itself where the sea breaks over a lot of the time.

However, snorkelling is usually very rewarding with more live coral than I saw in the lagoon on previous holidays at Trou aux Biches and Flic en Flac. There is also more and more varied fish life. My sightings included small boxfish, cornetfish, geometric moray (small, pretty commom but fun) and a wonderful flounder with blue markings - Bothus Mancus I believe! I also saw a largeish fish which looked to me like a small kingfish. And the usual attractive suspects, bannerfish, picasso fish and lots more.

Take a camera with u/w housing, mask, snorkel and diving fins - don't rely on stuff from your hotel (open foot fins to go over your wetboots) and have fun but don't forget the current and mind the obvious like motorboats...

Best of luck

J

North Wales
reviews: 3
3. Re: Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

we stayed @ Awali earlier in the year to be honest we found the snorkelling on the beach was a no go !!!!!!! the glass bottom boat takes you out , but, what you see are va few fish mainly dead coral, this was our only disappointment with our holiday, but, we had a fab time

Scotland
reviews: 54
4. Re: Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

Thanks for your help! Appreciated.

5. Re: Snorkelling at Heritage Awali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 24, 2013