We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking and driving

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 6
Drinking and driving

Not something that I condone!

Are there any transport options if you wanted to have a celebration dinner for two at the Ahwahnee, enjoy a bottle of good wine, perhaps some pre-dinner cocktails and then get back 'home' to your rental property in the park?

It looks as if the only way you can have a drink is if you're staying in the hotel, or are prepared to drink drive. Is this the case? Are there any car services that will take a booking?

18 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
1. Re: Drinking and driving

No. There are no car services, shuttles, taxis, or anything. The only shuttle service is a small loop around the eastern end of Yosemite Valley.

Maybe you can make friends with a few employees in the Park and arrange for a ride after they're off work or something like that.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
2. Re: Drinking and driving

The shuttle bus operates until 10pm at night.

nps.gov/yose/…valleyshuttle.pdf

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
3. Re: Drinking and driving

I suppose that is one of the drawbacks of a rental property instead of one of the park properties which would allow you to use the shuttle bus loop that goes through Yosemite Village. Why not consider only having one cocktail or one glass of wine with dinner?

Then you could take your time, have a nice leisurely dinner and drive yourself home safely.

I suppose also one of you could have a drink and the other abstain totally to do the driving.

Not as much fun but certainly a safe way to handle the situation.

London, United...
4. Re: Drinking and driving

Thanks all. The shuttle doesn't seem to go anywhere near where we're staying, unfortunately.

Such a shame that the Ahwahnee doesn't have any sort of car service for such situations. It's quite surprising for a big hotel, despite the location!

We were going to be dropped off there, so would have to make our own way back to the house. As this isn't possible, it looks like we'll be having a night in with a bit of cooking for me. Oh well!

LA
Destination Expert
5. Re: Drinking and driving

I would email or call the concierge at the Ahwanee.

They are very very helpful and must have encountered this situation before.

I don't see the dinner / drinks as an all or nothing situation. I would not miss a great dining experience there just because you can't drink a lot. Too much drink is also going to dim the enjoyment of the fabulous meal.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 75
6. Re: Drinking and driving

There probobly isnt enough demand for this type of service to make it worthwhile. If there was, i bet someone would be providing it.

London, United...
7. Re: Drinking and driving

I sent the Ahwanee a message about this already, but they basically just said "no" and gave me no further guidance.

We're going to be renewing our wedding vows in Yosemite, just the two of us, and our photographer was planning to drop us at the dining room for dinner and then we'd make our own way back. As this isn't possible, we'd have to go back to the house, pick up our car, drive ourselves back to the valley and then not drink. Kinda takes the shine off things.

We're not booze hounds - well, not all the time - we just want to not have to worry about this! :)

London, United...
8. Re: Drinking and driving

I'd give any member of staff $$ to take us. I just assumed that they'd have a hotel vehicle that could be used that way. Apparently not. They should do though. We can't be the only people that would make use of it.

LA
Destination Expert
9. Re: Drinking and driving

I guess another option would be to hire a wedding planner to organize your ceremony/photos and have them wait around to drive you back.

10. Re: Drinking and driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:08 am, February 27, 2014

Reply to: Drinking and driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted