We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Trip

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Weekend Trip

Hi All,

I would love to go to Yosemite for the weekend (I live in San Francisco) just to take some pictues and go on some long walks and get away from the city a bit...

Any advice on a reasonable place to stay and where to go to get away from the crowds and just enjoy the beauty?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

California
reviews: 12
1. Re: Weekend Trip

Are you talkiing about this coming weekend? Or some upcoming weekend? The weekend coming up is very busy at Yosemite.

Can you provide a price range that you consider reasonable? How far are you willing to drive from your lodging to other sights?

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 27
2. Re: Weekend Trip

And have you been to Yosemite before? If not, you really should stay near and visit Yosemite Valley for at least a little bit, even though it will be crowded in summer. Otherwise you could focus on areas off of Tioga Road or even Hetch Hetchy for a quieter experience.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Weekend Trip

Thanks for the responses!

I have been to Yosemite before and interested in seeing some of the spots that are not are quieter...I will definitely look into the spots you mentioned above..

I just discovered a friend of mine is renting a cabin in Strawberry and will try and crash there in the night and drive early in the morning into Yosemite.

Does anyone know if the north entrance is still closed?

Thanks!

New York City, New...
4. Re: Weekend Trip

suzie-travels:

This weekend is a bit busy for going to Yosemite -- I realized once i started looking into lodging...

Also I meant to say I am looking for quiet places to visit (I accidently typed not quiet)

Thanks again for the help!

Down South
5. Re: Weekend Trip

I would recommend hiring an RV for a trip to Yosemite - that way you can stay right there in the park overnight providing, there is space, or therer are a few good sites just outside the park - but its a great way to enjoy nature up close.

have a great trip!

Down South
6. Re: Weekend Trip

I would recommend hiring an RV for a trip to Yosemite - that way you can stay right there in the park overnight providing, there is space, or therer are a few good sites just outside the park - but its a great way to enjoy nature up close.

have a great trip!

California
reviews: 12
7. Re: Weekend Trip

None of the entrances are closed at this time. Though at one time there was a sink hole near the north entrance, Big Oak Flat, on 120 and they had a detour, the entrance was not closed. Tioga Pass on the east side, which typically closes during the winter, finally opened a couple of weeks ago. The south entrance is open. The west entrance, Arch Rock, on 140 is open but a rock slide has closed a portion of road between Midpines and El Portal. If you are staying in Mariposa or Midpines you would have to drive to either the north or south entrance to get to the park but anyone staying in El Portal would be able to use the Arch Rock entrance once they reach El Portal.

Saint Germain...
reviews: 92
8. Re: Weekend Trip

If your cabin is in Strawberry up highway 108, that would be a great area to explore in its own right, and I am sure you find quiet! The ride from Strawberry to Yosemite Valley is around 2 hours, in good traffic conditions.

Whatever you plan have a great time and since you live so close, perhaps plan another trip on a less holiday like weekend! October, before the rains/snows come is marvelous.

Get answers to your questions about Yosemite National Park