We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i need reservations in november?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mpls
reviews: 33
do i need reservations in november?

coming in first week and usually wing it. for nite sleeps. but seeing as this isnt the usual season will i be limited buget for two adults is around 70-120 nite. have 4 nites in the park and any suggested itineraries are needed! thanks to all!!~ moderate physical condition too.

10 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 56
1. Re: do i need reservations in november?

Hi

Start with those Top Questions that were suggested by others. (right side of the full TripAdvisor website) The Trip Reports should help. Also read the Trip Ideas under the Top Questions.

I don't see any downside to making reservations. If your plans change, cancel your reservations at least a week in advance and you probably won't pay a cancellation fee.

With your low budget, you're probably looking at Curry Village in the Valley or a private condo (if prices are low enough) in Yosemite West. If you want to stay outside of the Park gates and to drive (a lot) every day, then there are other options. All are described in the lodging article in the Top Questions.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 13
2. Re: do i need reservations in november?

The Lodge at Yosemite Falls has openings most of November except Sat 11/9. It is $133/nite before tax. Would be your best bet to be in the Valley. Curry Village is under $100 but I find that the extra amenities that come with the lodge can't be beat. But depends on the flexibility of your budget and if you want to rough it at CV. Stay in the valley would be the best suggestion for a first visit.

mpls
3. Re: do i need reservations in november?

thank you to the above for your generous time! i have read numerous posts and questions. in this posting. can i wing it here on reservations ? is the driving in a major hassle? anrent there some places just out side with comfort and on a budget of 100-12o? apprsc your input on the reallity od this early nov.! apparently the waether is a wild card too! :>}

Washington State
Destination Expert
4. Re: do i need reservations in november?

->Can you show up to Yosemite Valley in November without reservations and find accommodations?

Maybe for a night. Probably not. And very unlikely that you'd find someplace with availability for 4 nights.

->Is driving inside the Park challenging?

No. The speed limit on most roads is 35 mph. At some point in November or maybe late October, Tioga Road will probably close for the season. Glacier Point Road will probably close for the season. But if November is mild & warm, those roads may stay open. nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

->Is driving into the Park from a gateway town (Groveland, Mariposa, Oakhurst) a hassle each day?

Yup. It's between 1.25 and 1.5 hrs to drive into Yosemite Valley. One Way. So every day you might spend 2.5 - 3 hours in your car, trying to get to someplace terrific. And you'd either miss out on the evening programs or you'd be driving in the dark. Some folks do it. I wouldn't. Your travel style will determine your best option.

->How can I find out what other lodging options are available in addition to the official ones?

The Top Questions on the right side of this page has a long article about Where To Stay.

->What is the weather likely to be during my November visit?

"Quite variable, with weather ranging from hot to cold, dry to rainy or snowy." Visiting in Fall: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/fall.htm

mpls
5. Re: do i need reservations in november?

thanks pacific!!!! so i best make a base and there wont be much driving about to get to the attractions once in. this is unique for me, as i usually travel about and inspect the places i stay before i commit. reviews are subjective and each room is different. thats why i have done that, but it seems to be a tossup in the budget area to going to a lodge or these ' tent cabin's. do i bring bedding/ are they heated? i love to camp but not my friend. will hike lots and observe nature. really stoked about seeing this park after so long. i campped it back in 76 after a hike in and the bears getting my food! the beauty is subtle and somewhat magic. is four days enough to seee the best? thanks for your help, too!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
6. Re: do i need reservations in november?

There are strict rules about food and bears now. In the old days, we just hoped that bears wouldn't get our food. In the old old days, there were public dumps where bears came to forage each night.

Now ALL food and smellables are locked up each night. Even backpackers must lock up their food.

Your Curry Village tent cabin will come with a bear locker. Put everything in there. Info about Curry Village lodging is on the website www.YosemitePark.com If you choose Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, put your food/smellables inside the room.

Four days is a good length of time for November. Some of the "best" may be inaccessible due to the season, but you'll still be able to see lots. Have you read the Trip Ideas in the upper right?

mpls
7. Re: do i need reservations in november?

thanks for the heads up narrowed down the lodge at the falls they do not mention baths??? are these shared and where are they? not sure she would like that. do they have sinks in the room,even. never stayed inside at a park before . they appear to be same priced as the curry cabins but they mention a shower in the room there.seems odd to me that there isnt a way to ask on the parks site or photos of the baths are omitted. any help on the location too,please.

Washington State
Destination Expert
8. Re: do i need reservations in november?

Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is a regular motel like lodging. There are several buildings with the various room configurations. Each room has its own bathroom.

Curry Village has mostly tent cabins with shared bath. It also has a few motel-like rooms or cabins with bath and a few without bath.

The photos from visitors on the review pages will show the bathrooms.

Map of Yosemite Valley: nps.gov/yose/…valleyshuttle.pdf

Map of Yosemite Lodge at the Falls: yosemitepark.com/Files/Yosemite_Lodge_at_the…

Map of Curry Village: yosemite.ca.us/maps/curry_village_map.jpg

mpls
9. Re: do i need reservations in november?

thanks for all your help! staying at the lodge and found it booked after checking again so its popular. will they allow me to cancel if i cant access the park? that 7 day notice may be the clincher to me having to cancel and book if park reopens close tto the week i am going. any suggestions if park is closed?? flying in to SFO and have only 5 days .thankS!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
10. Re: do i need reservations in november?

Current information from other travelers indicates that DNC will allow cancellations if the government shutdown does not allow the visitor access. This forum has info about that and about other options. The Top Questions on this page has a new article about activity options due to the shutdown. The California forum has regular threads from other visitors with info about the shutdown.

Reply to: do i need reservations in november?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted