We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
57 reviews
LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

Hi, If I Google driving directions LV to Yosemite it takes us along ... Route 95 to Tonopah, then onto 6 and turning right onto 120 leading us into the park.

It gives a time of 5 1/2 hours ... is this close to reality for actual driving time? And is this route open in the fall ... around Sept maybe early October?

I have asked this timing question on a couple of threads and so far haven't gotten a very clear answer so would really appreciate a clear idea of the time frame.

Thanks.

Edited: 7:45 pm, August 20, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
57 reviews
11. Re: LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

Thanks again guys ... you know, i am having A LOT of trouble convincing my OH that driving through a desert is a good idea. So it looks as if we will just fly to Fresno and drive from there.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
378 reviews
12. Re: LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

Choose Yosemite Village or Yosemite Valley as your destination. Google Maps estimates (not accounting for any traffic or construction delays):

- 7 hrs. 17 mins. via Hwy. 95 (not scenic, but relatively quick). http://goo.gl/maps/ARHVR (staying on 95 to Tonopah adds, according to GM, 3 minutes and is actually less scenic, since you'd see less of Mono Lake and the Mono Craters).

-8 hrs. 5 mins. via Hwy. 395 (very scenic). http://goo.gl/maps/gfzkm

-8 hrs. 3 mins. via I-15 and Hwy. 58 and Hwy. 99 (IMHO, the least scenic of the 3 options). http://goo.gl/maps/FBWJM

Late September-early October is kind of a shoulder season, but odds of Tioga Pass being closed, for example, are minimal. I'd go for option #2, for sure. Maybe after you check air fares to FAT (Fresno), you'll reconsider.

Edited: 8:02 am, August 21, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
8,441 posts
378 reviews
13. Re: LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

p.s. all of the above highways are quite good and easy to drive.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
6,885 posts
57 reviews
14. Re: LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

Sutter ... you have been a great help ... very detailed. Just what I wanted to know, thanks.

This is just research for a trip next year, we don't even have a set date yet, and the destination in Yosemite is "a cabin" so there are no definite details.

The cost of flights is not the issue, it's the time factor. We can fly to Fresno, we can fly to San Jose and drive up with our friends or drive across the desert. Fresno is quickest but I would like to drive. But we have plenty of time to decide.

Thanks again for the detailed help.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
15. Re: LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

Make sure you get the address of the "cabin". There are many accomodations that are another hour's drive outside the park.

The speed limit in the park is 35 mph. It is not freeway driving. There are pedestrians, slow-moving vehicles, and animals to look out for so you cannot assume the in-park driving distances will be fast.

16. Re: LV to Yosemite - Google Times Correct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 23, 2014