We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on road closure/fire

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Traverse City...
Update on road closure/fire

This just in:

Rim Fire Update

Overnight, the Rim Fire grew from 800 acres to 10,170 acres. The fire is currently west of Lumsden Bridge in the Tuolumne River Canyon, north of the Clavey River, east of the Clavey and Tuolumne River, and south of Highway 120 beyond Rainbow Pool. An evacuation order is still in effect for the Buck Meadows area. Suppression efforts continue and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Currently, Hetch Hetchy is closed and some Hetch Hetchy employees have been evacuated as a precaution. The northern portion of the park is heavily affected by smoke and visitors and employees are urged to exercise caution when in and around these areas. Employees who live in the Buck Meadows, Groveland, and Hetch Hetchy areas should work with their supervisor to arrange telework or administrative leave as necessary during the course of the road closure and evacuation. Hodgdon Meadows area is currently without power. There is no estimated timeframe as to when the power will be restored. Temperatures in the area remain high throughout the week with high chances of lightning through Wednesday.

Yosemite National Park Rangers are currently assisting the Incident Command Team and Tuolumne County Sherriff's Office and will continue to assist throughout the fire.

For updated information on the fire, please visit http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3660/

. Additionally, for updated Yosemite National Park road information call 209-372-0200.

San Francisco Bay
reviews: 13
1. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Bump

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Update on road closure/fire

I know no one can predict what will happen with a forest fire, but since I have ZERO experience with it, I thought I'd ask those with more experience/exposure.

We don't arrive until Sept 6 (coming from SFO), but I suppose it's possible this would still be a concern in 2 weeks?

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Keep checking the NPS website for updates. There was a fire before my recent trip and after. But this is fire season in CA (and most of the western states) so always be certain of conditions.

Edited: 5:05 pm, August 20, 2013
Northern California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
reviews: 13
4. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Lennie,

The current fire location is actually a long ways from Yosemite Valley, Yosemite National Park encompasses about 1170 square miles. Coming from SF you may have to take a different park entrance but it won't detour you that much. No worries!

San Mateo...
reviews: 25
5. Re: Update on road closure/fire

It is very unlikely that this fire will affect your visit, but this is expected to be a bad fire season, and other fires could happen. There are three routes into the park... 120 to the north, 140 from Merced, or 41 from the south (aka the Fresno Road)

It would be very unlikely that all would be closed. I think in my experience (50 years) they only evacuated the park once due to fires, and that may have been voluntary (I was there, it was smokey) so you should be able to visit... it just may require a detour...

Yosemite is worth the visit... it is dry this year with little water over the falls... but still worth it... Enjoy your visit.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
reviews: 87
6. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Allow maybe an extra hour in your itinerary if it's still going.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Thanks for the feedback!

Mi Wuk Village...
8. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Current conditions north of Yosemite. It's 3pm. There is smoke in the air. It's smell was very heavy this morning. I was just in Twain Harte and ash was falling and it's quite a distance from the fire. Anyone with any heart or respiratory problems should be careful about being out in these conditions. I'm looking north out of my window and the thunderheads are rapidly building. Wrong spot to put the fire out. But there is a small stream flooding advisory in place. It's a steep downhill drop. Bigger danger is lightening without rain. There are some steep river gorges where it is very hard to fight fires on the ground.

Sunnyvale, CA
reviews: 221
9. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Last that I heard, the fire is now 16500 acres and moving eastward along route 120. I'm going to the yosemite high country along route 140 and then 120 Saturday. My main concern is should the fire travel 15 miles and reach the junction of 120 and 140 then I would be trapped with no direct route westwards to leave the park. Also would it be smokey in Tioga Pass 60 miles east of the fire?

Mi Wuk Village...
10. Re: Update on road closure/fire

Robert, if it is smokey in Tioga pass then most of the park will be covered with smoke. I'm below the Sonora pass and at this time there is no visible smoke but you can smell it. No one predicts fires in this terrain more than a short time ahead. Last big fire near me stopped at the ridge. Had it crested it could have swept down and taken out a lot of homes. Couple years back water tankers stopped a fire at the end of my street.