We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Crane Flats to Chilnualna Falls

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westminster...
Getting from Crane Flats to Chilnualna Falls

4 of my friends and I are leaving friday to backpack the Buena Vista loop in yosemite. The only thing is that we have to take amtrak and they drop us off at Cran Flats, we need to get to Chilnualna falls but I cannot figure out how to. Any help is awesome!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: Getting from Crane Flats to Chilnualna Falls

Amtrak does not drop you off at the Crane Flat campground. Amtrak train goes to Merced, and then you take a YARTS bus for the remainder of the journey.

Buena Vista is close to Glacier Point, although I suppose you could start in Wawona and hike up past Upper Chilnualna Fall to Buena Vista and then back down. (I've just gone from the Glacier Point Road - Ostrander Lake trailhead down to Wawona.)

Anyway, there is really not public transportation to anywhere but Yosemite Valley. Here are the options that occur to me...

(1) rent a car in Merced and drive to Wawona via the South Entrance

(2) take YARTS to Yosemite Valley, pick up your Wilderness Permit, and stay in the Backpackers Campground in the Valley. The next afternoon, take the 3:30 bus to the Wawona Hotel. From there, walk about 2 miles to the Chilnualna Fall trailhead and begin your ascent to Upper Chilnualna Fall (about 4 miles) Of course your permit must be for the day you're entering the backcountry.

(3) beg. I'm not sure where you'd find someone, but maybe there is someone with a van who will give you a ride. This is sort of a hitchhiking option, but with five of you, I don't know how you'll manage.

Westminster...
2. Re: Getting from Crane Flats to Chilnualna Falls

Awesome thanks for the reply! So we have to pick up our permit that we reserved in the valley? Not at wawona? And I think renting a car is our best bet..

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
3. Re: Getting from Crane Flats to Chilnualna Falls

No, you can pick up your permit at any Wilderness Office. If you're staying a night at the backpacker campground in Yosemite Valley, you'll need to have your permit with you to access this campground.

If you're driving, then just stop at the Wilderness Office next to the Wawona Hotel.

4. Re: Getting from Crane Flats to Chilnualna Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 15, 2014