We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

Which Yosemite National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

Hey guys

Just a quick question. MY fiancé and I will be coming to Yosemite for 3 nights from November 4th. We are looking at booking our accommodation this week, but I am in two minds. We will be leaving SF in the morning, so we are looking at getting to Yosemite Area around 3 or 4. I am unsure whether we should stay in Yosemite at the Falls or Tenaya Lodge. I realise Tenaya is a bit of a drive to the valley, but it looks like Tenaya is a nicer hotel. We are on our honeymoon, coming from Australia, so we want something that is both nice and memorable and so we really liked the idea of the cottages of Tenaya. We will be in the area for two full days. The reviews for Yosemite at the Falls aren't glowing and unfortunately the Awahnee is a bit out of our price range, so just thought I would see what people thought about it on here.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 75
1. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

In November you have the potential for winter-like weather. So less driving might be better. But the Tenaya Lodge is a full service place that might be a better place for you.

There are some "green" refreshed rooms at Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, and you can't beat that location. But the older rooms are definitely worn out.

Have you also considered a private property rental? Maybe a cabin in Foresta? Info in the upper right. I think a private cabin with a hot tub would be a great choice for a honeymoon. The disadvantage is that you'd have to provide your own meals or eat in Yosemite Valley before driving 15 - 20 minutes to Foresta. (I've heard that the Sage Cabin is a good choice, but I haven't seen it.)

You might also consider Yosemite West, but its elevation of 6,000' make it a chillier location.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
reviews: 27
2. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

In your situation, the Tenaya might be a better choice, as it would certainly be more of a full service experience. I personally don't like the extra driving it involves.

If you do decide on the Lodge at the Falls, only do so if you can get a room with a King sized bed. I think you would find the rooms to be pleasant enough, but the overall "service" experience will be much more rustic.

Groveland
reviews: 2
3. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

If you're not stuck on staying in the park, there are some nice lodging facilities outside the park. Since you're flying into SFO, the closest entrance to that airport is the Hwy 120/Big Oak Flat north entrance. Here's a site listing various facilities for that area. http://staynearyosemite.com/. The cabins at Sunset Inn are just two miles outside the gate, nice and well maintained. They have excellent reviews.

The next closest Yosemite entrance to SFO is the West entrance on Hwy 140 going through Mariposa. Here's a listing of accommodations in that area. http://www.yosemitebnbs.com/. The Blue Butterfly is directly on the river and also has excellent reviews.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
reviews: 27
4. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

Very true- that's another great option. There are some lovely places to stay along 120 (including the Blackberry Inn, I will add) that are much more convenient to reach when coming from SF. Still a bit of a drive to get to the valley, but not much more than Tenaya, and you didn't have to drive any further to reach them.

Blue Butterfly is another good choice, very close to the valley along 140. It might be out of your price range, but check it out just in case. All of these spots would be "honeymoon worthy."

Strandhill, Ireland
reviews: 245
5. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

We spent 4 nights of our honeymoon in the sage cabin in foresta. So highly recommended, close to the valley but secluded in the evening. We're staying here again in sept!

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
6. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

Yosemite is great for nature, relaxation and scenery. Certainly not a resort. I would most definitely want to stay in Yosemite Valley if at all possible. Waking up in Yosemite Valley each day is special. Early November won't be as nice as Spring or Fall, but still nice, and you should be able to use time to drive up to Glacier Point and maybe even Tuolumne Meadows if it hasn't been closed by snow yet.

For me, and for my wife, the choice would be easy: Yosemite Lodge. For you, having more amenities may be important, and worth the extra driving, back and forth, each day. If you want a bit of luxury, you could always have dinner, or brunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel. Will you be at other, perhaps full-service, hotels at other points in your trip? Foresta would probably be my second choice.

Edited: 3:01 pm, April 21, 2013
Near Yosemite...
reviews: 6
7. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

I spent my honeymoon at the Yosemite Lodge at the falls and we are still married. For me, waking up and seeing the spendor of the Yosemite valley was very memorable. I think that is a more memorable honeymoon location over plush towels......just my opinion.

san mateo CA
reviews: 23
8. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

I will not comment on the quality of the lodgings. I will say that my strong suggestion would be that you stay in the Valley. Your options for eating or going out at night will be very much limited by location although Oakhurst is near Tenaya Lodge.

Staying there would also pretty much preclude a walk in the valley at night, a most romantic thing to do (sorry I checked there will be little moon which particularly with snow on the ground would make this walk most memorable). You will miss cocktails in the Ahwahnee which is all I have ever been able to afford there. You cut yourself off from all sorts of things to do if you stay outside the valley, even as posted above if you are as close as Foresta.

Again I know nothing about the accommodations, my one time at Yosemite Lodge was without reservations so I had to move every day and it was a long time ago. My point is being able to be in the Valley at night and getting up in the morning and seeing the sunlight move down the west wall and going anyplace you want on the shuttles without having to drive drive every morning and evening trumps the quality of the room so greatly that I would not suggest staying anyplace outside the Valley if you did not have to.

San Francisco...
reviews: 121
9. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

Some of the rooms at the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls have been updated and have ipod docks and flat screen TVs. The location is great. The blue butterfly is also nice and close to the Valley. Tenaya Lodge will be fine if you do not mind the drive. One warning.. Some of my worst marital arguments have been when we were lost driving in the car

Edited: 12:36 am, April 22, 2013
10. Re: Accommodation in Yosemite, opinions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 24, 2014